When to switch from chick starter to layer crumbles?

TripTrapMtnHomestead

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Western NC
New here- hello all! We have 4 new chicks who are hen raised and 14 more in the incubator who will be human raised.
smile.png
I have lots of questions.

I can only control what they eat a little b/c they are free range with our flock and their Mama during the day... but I have been giving them medicated chick starter in the evening when they cooped up with just Mama. They are 1.5 weeks old. Can they switch to the regular crumbles now? Or should I get more starter?

We have 14 eggs in the incubator due on June 18. How long should I give starter to them before switching to layer crumbles? And at what age would you introduce to the flock? I need to have them inside under option of heat lamp for 2 months correct?

Here's our Mama hen and her peeps...
DSCN8915.jpg

Last edited:
I too was mystified by the feed choices when I started! It's pretty simple though, once you sort through all the info. Essentially you feed them starter until about 6-8 weeks, switch to developer, then when the chicks start laying, switch to laying feed. Viola, hours of research and angst, pared down to a sentence!

The primary issue is that young chicks shouldn't be overloaded with Calcuim, which is a big ingredient in laying feed. So, just wait till they lay, easy peasy.
smile.png

Last edited:
I love that your chicks are spending so much time with mama. Mama knows best when it comes to eating. So, they should be getting good advice from mama when they are free ranging with her and the starter feed will make sure they are getting whatever nutrients they are missing. Look at those sweet chicks.
big_smile.png

So when they are in the big coop with our other hens... I should just keep offering the chick starter? I put it in a different place than the layer crumble/pellet mix but I think my hens are eating it all too.

Back
Top Bottom