When to switch from puppy to adult food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by snewman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Just checking around for opinions. I have a German shepherd/husky cross pup who turned one year old today. He weighs about 85 pounds. What are people's thoughts on when to switch from puppy food to adult food? I have my own thoughts, and have read a variety of ideas and reasons for when to switch, but I thought I'd check with all of you too.

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    The puppy chow commercial Said "Puppy Chow for a full year" So I would go with that

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    For a larger breed I generally make the switch right at a year old because they are still growing A LOT up to that point. Beyond a year, they are still growing, but not enough IMO to still REQUIRE puppy formulas. Though I have fed puppy formula a bit longer. it really depends on the dog. They are full grown at about 2 for the larger breeds. My dogs don't "fill out" before 2 years old.

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    the contents and percentages between puppy and adult food are minimal...I feed a puppy one bag of puppy food, 35 or 40 lbs and switch to adult...it is all just a bit gimicky...if you feed a quality food or give them a variety of other things like eggs, yogurt, bananas...stuff, the puppy food thing is not so important...I have bred, shown, rescued and mainained dogs for 25 plus years on that premise and it seems to be just fine...

5. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. Good to have second opinions though!

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Before I went 'grain free' I went by the one year mark.

I believe the Taste of the Wild grain free food I'm now feeding to vaious ages says it's good for all ages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by