when to switch from starter feed?

You should stop feeding starter after they compleatly fetherd out

None of the poultry associations say to do that, neither do any of the avian vets I know and/or worked with. The standard is 16-18 weeks on starter, then switch to the next level of feed. The protein and calcium levels being either too high or too low can cause serious problems if you switch too soon. :/

I have 2 chicks that are 6 weeks old and 6 chicks that are 4 weeks old. I am still feeding them starter and was wondering when I could feed raiser, and then when to feed layer.

I have 2 chicks that are 6 weeks old and 6 chicks that are 4 weeks old. I am still feeding them starter and was wondering when I could feed raiser, and then when to feed layer.

I don't know anything about "raiser," but I do know standard guidelines say starter to 16-18 weeks of age and then switch to layer for pullets and broiler for roos (or other meat birds). Maybe someone else here has experience with the raiser feed you're talking about?

Thanks for the info. I do have a coop! Just need to finish the door and the ramp. I am still kinda confused as to when they will actually start laying. I have been reading all sorts of times. From 12 weeks to like 6 months. I have no idea Any thoughts?

My mom found this on a chicken site. I like!

I have 2 adults and 2 chics that I am not sure of the age. They are atleast 8 weeks and maybe as old as 12. The adults are on layer feed and the chics are on grower. I have been putting the chics in a seperate run right next to the adult run for about 2 weeks and have let them free range with the adults several times. At night I have been bringing the chics into our house. I am considering putting them with the adults and letting them stay full time in the hen house and adult run. The weather has been warm enough. My question is- Can they eat the same food? Do I need to switch to an "all flock?" I don't see how I can separate their food being in the same coop. From what I have read the "layer" food would not be good for the chics?

I have 2 adults and 2 chics that I am not sure of the age.  They are atleast 8 weeks and maybe as old as 12.  The adults are on layer feed and the chics are on grower.  I have been putting the chics in a seperate run right next to the adult run for about 2 weeks and have let them free range with the adults several times.  At night I have been bringing the chics into our house.  I am considering putting them with the adults and letting them stay full time in the hen house and adult run.  The weather has been warm enough.  My question is- Can they eat the same food?  Do I need to switch to an "all flock?"  I don't see how I can separate their food being in the same coop.  From what I have read the "layer" food would not be good for the chics?

Using flock raiser for everyone with oyster shell on the side is the best option I've thought of to deal with this issue. And the greater the protein your layers get the larger their eggs will be. So it's a win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTOOJOSH

i love it when my girls catch a worm...its like chicken football how they chase each other around and almost tackle each other...entertaining for sure

I am a high school football coach and I will tell you I wish some of my players moved with that kind of enthusiam and knew how to take angles like that on the field. Talk about a scrmbel drill... FUN to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTOOJOSH

i love it when my girls catch a worm...its like chicken football how they chase each other around and almost tackle each other...entertaining for sure

I am a high school football coach and I will tell you I wish some of my players moved with that kind of enthusiam and knew how to take angles like that on the field. Talk about a scrmbel drill... FUN to watch.
yuckyuck.gif
(Coming from a football Mama!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom