when to switch from starter feed?

Planting by the moon is not just an "old timers" quirk. The moon's gravitational pull affects moisture in plants and in the ground just like it does the ocean waves. That is why certain crops are planted & harvested at a particular cycle of the moon. Your neighbor may not have a "green thumb" but science is behind him on that moon-business
smile.png

As for the pepper, I just read a hipster blog post saying we should be drinking a glass of water every morning with lemon & cayenne to balance our ph & jump start our metabolism - maybe it works the same with the chickens. Hot peppers are good for circulation too. If it doesn't hurt, try it! I'm already throwing in garlic powder & apple cider vinegar; can't be any worse than some of the stuff I see my chickens pecking
wink.png

My girls are 16 wks old. I have a RIR and a Barred Rock. I let the hens forage in my small backyard from 6am to 7:30pm and they eat the feed in their coop and head up to roost for the night. I know I only have two chickens, they seem healthy and are large...but should I feed them more grain ( and shorten their " free time"? When do I switch them over to laying feed? I don't want to start too early and give them liver damage. When should I also introduce oyster shells? Would it be over kill to supplement their diet with organic flax seed too?

We have 11 laying hens and one or two of them just played there first eggs we just found them this morning, my question is since we have still been feeding then chick starter are these eggs good to eat or do we need to throw them away? We are going to go get some laying feed just haven't done it yet.

dalhartchick
- If they were mine, I'd eat them. Figure the eggs from the grocery store are from birds that are all " drugged up" on chemicals & hormones...etc. But make sure that you switch soon& offer oyster shell, that way you don't risk harming the health of your hens.

dalhartchick
- If they were mine, I'd eat them. Figure the eggs from the grocery store are from birds that are all " drugged up" on chemicals & hormones...etc. But make sure that you switch soon& offer oyster shell, that way you don't risk harming the health of your hens.
Hormones? No. No poultry in the US are allowed hormones. Just sayin'.

There is no withdrawal indicated as necessary for amprolium, the most common ingredient used to medicate Starter. It is merely a thiamine blocker.

My girls are still on Chick Starter/Grower and they free range daily. They are all laying beautiful hard shelled eggs and are very healthy. I don't plan to change their food anytime soon.

We have 11 laying hens and one or two of them just played there first eggs we just found them this morning, my question is since we have still been feeding then chick starter are these eggs good to eat or do we need to throw them away? We are going to go get some laying feed just haven't done it yet.

Of course you can eat them!
smile.png

I have a question...

I keep reading how many pounds of starter feed everyone's chicks are going through vs how old they are.
I have 14 chicks that range from 7-10 weeks old. I have just purchased my 4th 50 pound bag of the chick starter feed after the first 2 25 pound bags only lasted a week. Is it normal for my chicks to be eating this much? That is 250 pounds of starter feed in just 10 weeks! I feel like I am constantly filling their food containers because they seem to eat it so fast. My 3 silkies (7 weeks) don't eat as much as my 10 week old chicks do. They also seem to be eating more and more as they grow so I having to purchase feed more often.

Is this normal or do I have pigs with feathers instead of chickens?

I have eight 9 week olds and they are just finishing up their first 50lbs. They have been outside to free range since 6 weeks.

It sounds like your flock is eating a ton of food!!!

My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old and the place I bought them gave me a big bag of poultry feed. And scratch feed. And said they were ok and old enough to eat just about anything. I've given them grapes they love it. And shredded cheese they are obsessed about it. Tonight I tried yogurt mixed with chicken scratch feed and they also loved it. That's all ok right?? My chicks are 2 sexlinked and 1 barred rock. Again 3 1/2 weeks old.
that's only 2 of them. Those 2 always stop for pictures the other one goes running haha

My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old and the place I bought them gave me a big bag of poultry feed. And scratch feed. And said they were ok and old enough to eat just about anything. I've given them grapes they love it. And shredded cheese they are obsessed about it. Tonight I tried yogurt mixed with chicken scratch feed and they also loved it. That's all ok right?? My chicks are 2 sexlinked and 1 barred rock. Again 3 1/2 weeks old. that's only 2 of them. Those 2 always stop for pictures the other one goes running haha
Its OK. Just don't over do the treats. You don't want to unbalance their diet at such a young age.

Back
Top Bottom