when to switch from starter feed?

As far as switching from starter crumbles, make sure they have a supplement like oyster shell whenever you do. And as far as the inordinate amount babies eat, make sure they're actually 'eating' it. I put a big pan, like the ones for a pot in a potted plant, under their feeder. It collects all the food you normally won't see in the shavings. Hope that helps
smile.png

I have heard all the discussion regarding not starting Layer until week 16 or 18 due to excess protien harming organs and all. But after some research into the grower finisher that is being recomended between starter and layer i found that most "finisher" feeds actually have a higher protien % than the layer. Finishers range in the 20%protien range as where Layer is fairly constant at 16%. I think the grower finisher phase of feeding is a money racket being that it (by current logic) would be more harmful that layer with higher protien %s and it actually cost about $5 more per 50 pound bag.

Thoughts

I have heard all the discussion regarding not starting Layer until week 16 or 18 due to excess protien harming organs and all. But after some research into the grower finisher that is being recomended between starter and layer i found that most "finisher" feeds actually have a higher protien % than the layer. Finishers range in the 20%protien range as where Layer is fairly constant at 16%. I think the grower finisher phase of feeding is a money racket being that it (by current logic) would be more harmful that layer with higher protien %s and it actually cost about $5 more per 50 pound bag.

Thoughts

But, most layer feed has oyster shells which isn't good for chicks that have not started laying yet.
I think just about every brand of feed is almost completely different.

I started my chicks on the purina start and grow which can be used the entire growing time. On the back the recommendation is to feed it until they are 18 weeks old then switch to layer. My babies are 12 weeks old and i just bought another 50# bag and hoping to be my last. I am tired of having the coop separated with babies on one side and my ladies on the other. I can't wait until they are all on one, layer.

Thoughts
Its the high calcium, not the high protein.

so the guy at the feed store told me the layer pellets is a good all around feed that can be fed to all chicks at 8 weeks. even my rooster eats it and they all seem to be perfectly fine. they have bern on it for about a month.

Ho do you keep the babies from eating the layer pellets?
You keep it out of the coop and run where the chickens are. Chicks can get just about any where a adult can get to. While the chicks are growing feed a grower or flock raiser with a calcium supplement on the side for the laying hens,

Back
Top Bottom