when to switch to Layer feed

I personally switch them over when I get the first egg or at 20 weeks if they haven't started laying before then.

ETA: Don't let anyone tell you that switching them early will cause them to start laying. The only thing that determines the age at which they first start laying is their breed and their individual body.

Last edited:
I say anywhere around 18-20 weeks when you run out of starter/grower. No need to waste feed.
(mix the starter/grower and layer for a few days before you totally switch over.)

OR, you could go to an all-purpose or "FlockRaiser" type of feed and just supply crushed oyster shell free choice. That's what I do. I have different ages of chickens and trying to keep this group from eating that feed, or that group from eating this feed was a pain. The whole flock free ranges.... and the youngsters don't range as far as the Grown Up chickens.

I keep crushed oyster shell in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside wall of the coop, plus I toss some out in one particular location for my duck to get (since she doesn't go into the chicken coop). A few of the layers have "discovered" the outside oyster shell depot and take advantage of it, too.

Anyway, now I just buy chick starter for the babies and all purpose feed for everybody else.

I started mixing chick feed with layer feed about 17 weeks. I still had a bunch of chick feed left however. I'm trying to find someone locally that has chicks so that I can give it away.

Yay Chicks! :

I started mixing chick feed with layer feed about 17 weeks. I still had a bunch of chick feed left however. I'm trying to find someone locally that has chicks so that I can give it away.

It won't hurt to use it up by mixing it with layer.

I too usually start mixing layer in at about 18-20 weeks. I have done it out of desperation as early as 16 weeks with the fast developers.​

thanks everyone. My girls are 13 and 17 weeks old. they have a ton of grower feed left so I'll stick with it for a few more weeks and just put out the oyster shells fee choice now. The big girls are cochins, i think they develop later. Does this sound all right?

Back
Top Bottom