1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to switch to layer -- mixed ages

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomato lady, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    My flock consists of 28 pullets. At least 2 of them are getting ready to lay, I expect others to follow soon. Of my Pullets 10 are 19 - 20 weeks. Two are doing the egg squat.

My problem is that in this flock the youngest are only 15 weeks. Also, some of my older ones are large breeds and probably won't lay right away. Six of my 15 week pullets are Golden Comets so they might lay early.

When should I start feeding layer? Should I leave the grower out when I switch? If I leave two types of feed out I won't be able to control who eats what. Didn't think of this when I mixed them all together. They do get along very well.

2. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I started giving my chickens layers feed when I brought them home. They were about 15 wks old then. They did and do just fine on it. They are now 22 wks old and I finally got my first egg on Saturday. It was perfect! The shell was a good color and it was a nice hard shell. It was small, but that's to be expected with first eggs. She's laid 2 more since and they too have really good shell and color. Mine have done just fine on the layers feed. Just introduce it to them slowly mixing it with the food they have now. The abrupt change in food could make them not want to eat it. It's not as sweet as the starter. I was thinking about the roosters. If the hens are all on layer do you have to feed the roosters seperately. I'm guessing no. That's a lot of money to have to buy two differnent kinds of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by