When to take poults out of the incubator?

Chrifister

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Our first turkey hatched today! This evening is the start of day 26. I thought it odd that this one was in such a hurry to get out. Most of the other 15 eggs have pips that I can see. One egg is moving very frequently and I believe I heard more peeps from somewhere.

The humidity has shot up to the 90s according to the multiple unreliable sensors I have in there. The one poult is taking a long time to dry. He's been steady peeping and resting all evening. Still seems wobbly on his feet.

My question is how long do I wait before taking this guy out? Thought I remember reading somewhere that newly hatched chickens can survive for 72 hours without food and water. When we do chickens, I start a timer when the first chick hatches and usually wait till the 50 hour mark or so, depending on how many are out and how dry they are. Can I do the same with turkeys? I'm wary of how much time it will take to teach this one how to eat and drink so am not sure I should wait 48 more hours? Does the 72 hour time limit apply to turkeys as well?

Our first turkey hatched today! This evening is the start of day 26. I thought it odd that this one was in such a hurry to get out. Most of the other 15 eggs have pips that I can see. One egg is moving very frequently and I believe I heard more peeps from somewhere.

The humidity has shot up to the 90s according to the multiple unreliable sensors I have in there. The one poult is taking a long time to dry. He's been steady peeping and resting all evening. Still seems wobbly on his feet.

My question is how long do I wait before taking this guy out? Thought I remember reading somewhere that newly hatched chickens can survive for 72 hours without food and water. When we do chickens, I start a timer when the first chick hatches and usually wait till the 50 hour mark or so, depending on how many are out and how dry they are. Can I do the same with turkeys? I'm wary of how much time it will take to teach this one how to eat and drink so am not sure I should wait 48 more hours? Does the 72 hour time limit apply to turkeys as well?
I have turkeys eggs currently hatching in the hatcher. I have the brooder set up and waiting. Sometime tomorrow morning, I will take the dry poults out of the hatcher and move them to the brooder. I do not tend to leave live poults in the hatcher more than 24 hours except in special circumstances.

I strongly recommend that you salt calibrate a hygrometer and check your humidity. If it is 90%, it is too high. My humidity is currently 69% in the hatcher.

Couldn't find a suitable hygrometer around here so am planning on ordering one online. According to some older posts on here, sounds like Inkbird hygrometers are somewhat reliable. Trying to decide between standard or remote models. Planning on incubating some Australorps at the end of the month and would like the sensor before then. Any suggestions for a decent hygrometer?

Checked on the little ones this morning and a second one is out. Neither are dry which makes sense because the humidity is so high. I was trying to keep it in the 80's the last couple days but it shot up yesterday. One of the sensors died but still 3 more in there. Trying to get the humidity down this morning, I think into the 70s would be good?

24 hours you say? So that means that first one will have to come out this evening along with any other dry ones.

Even the cheap hygrometers are okay as long as you salt calibrate them so you know how far off they are. Humidity in the 70% range would be better than what you have now. You may need to move the poults out so they can dry off.

The hour time limit is not hard and fast. It is a guideline. I will be taking all the dry ones out of my hatcher this morning which will be less than 12 hours for some of them.

One hatched yesterday evening, one this morning, and two this afternoon. I just took them all out and put them in the brooder. They were not drying and I was becoming concerned. I'm hoping the opening of the cover has reduced the humidity to a more comfortable level.

There is one more that is about 60-70% unzipped but has taken all day to make it that far. The egg is still moving vigorously and he is peeping loudly but he doesn't seem to be making any more progress.

There are two others that have made a large hole, then made it bigger, then stopped. They are still lively and peeping now and then but I don't see the unzipping motion of their beak yet.

There is one that pipped closer to the small end of the egg. He has also made his hole quite a bit bigger but has also stopped. Still moving a lot and peeping but no further progress.

All of the others except a couple I can't see have only barely pipped, just enough to poke out the shell but I don't see holes or beaks. Not sure if I should be concerned about their lack of progress when day 28 started a couple hours ago?

As far as getting them to eat and drink, they are drying quickly under the lamp so I haven't tried yet. They still look tired and are resting every minute. I think they'll dry off soon and I was thinking of seeing if I can get them to eat and drink before I go to bed. Will they survive until the morning if I can't get them to eat and drink tonight?

The ones that are making round holes will need you to zip for them. Watch for blood and dried membranes. Don't do anymore than pop the top of the egg shell off. If there are dried membranes, moisten with coconut oil or warm water.

Good luck.

I moved 16 to the brooder this afternoon and still have four in the hatcher.

The one that was mostly unzipped just pushed out. Poor thing worked all day at that.

Took pics of the 4 with large holes. They are moving and peeping loudly. Did see one making the unzip motion with his beak but didn't seem to accomplish anything.

My gut tells me to wait till the morning with the hope that some of them hatch. I'll assist the others that don't. We assisted a couple chickens last year and both survived.

Attachments

• PXL_20210508_020114266.jpg
    PXL_20210508_020114266.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20210508_020103891.jpg
    PXL_20210508_020103891.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210508_020043058.jpg
    PXL_20210508_020043058.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210508_020035831.jpg
    PXL_20210508_020035831.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 35
Little update. 1 more hatched overnight and 1 this morning. Of the remaining 8 eggs, 1 died before pipping internally, 1 is a late bloomer and is pipped with a large hole but still has veins in his membrane, 1 died with a large hole in the wrong end but we didn't know cause it was facing down, and we assisted the remaining 5 to hatch. They had no blood in their membrane but it had turned to leather. Was really easy to peel away the shell and tear the membrane for them. They were likely ready to hatch yesterday when I took the pics. Strange that the humidity is in the 90s yet their membrane dried out and turned to leather?

So we started with 21 Bourbon Red eggs of unknown age. 1 had a major impact crack and we threw it out, 4 didn't develop/not fertilized, 1 died before internal pip, 1 died failure to unzip, 1 late bloomer still in the incubator, and 13 are in the brooder. Better than 50% so I'm happy. Thanks for your help!

I think the late bloomer has died. Can see veins in the membrane so couldn't do anything for it. Never decided to unzip.

There's actually 12 in the brooder. There's another one in the incubator that started with a big hole yesterday. It might be one of the ones in one of the pics I posted. This morning the big hole had progressed to being 70% unzipped and then stopped. Seemed he was getting weaker and weaker so we helped with oiling the membrane and tearing it a little for him. He eventually pushed out on his own but looks very weak. Barely moves and occasionally opens his eyes. Seems to be getting weaker. Has something attached to his belly. Attaching a pic.

Can you tell me what this is and what should I do with him? Should I move him to the brooder so he can dry off? Maybe get some electrolyte water into him as well? Leave him in the incubator?

Attachments

• PXL_20210508_174011541.jpg
    PXL_20210508_174011541.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 34
I think the late bloomer has died. Can see veins in the membrane so couldn't do anything for it. Never decided to unzip.

There's actually 12 in the brooder. There's another one in the incubator that started with a big hole yesterday. It's one of the ones in one of the pics I posted. This morning the big hole had progressed to being 70% unzipped and then stopped. Seemed he was getting weaker and weaker so we helped with oiling the membrane and tearing it a little for him. He eventually pushed out on his own but looks very weak. Barely moves and occasionally opens his eyes. Seems to be getting weaker. Has something attached to his belly. Attaching a pic.

Can you tell me what this is and what should I do with him? Should I move him to the brooder so he can dry off? Maybe get some electrolyte water into him as well? Leave him in the incubator?
Looks like an incomplete absorption of the yolk.

@casportpony recently made a thread about a similar situation with a pea chick.

I doubt that it will survive. If it was mine, I would either leave it in the incubator for the time being or cull it.

Back
Top Bottom