When to throw out eggs after hatch day?

nightstar

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Hatch day should have started yesterday. (Saturday) the first baby duck hatched on Tuesday, with more to follow until Friday. Since Friday it has been silent. No pips, no rocking. Is there a good way to check to see if they are still alive? If not, how long should I keep them in there?
During the month while candeling, I noticed they looke like the were all in different stages, I summed this up to not knowing what I was doing. I would hate to throw live ones out, but I don't want to continue growing bacteria.

Hatch day should have started yesterday. (Saturday) the first baby duck hatched on Tuesday, with more to follow until Friday. Since Friday it has been silent. No pips, no rocking. Is there a good way to check to see if they are still alive? If not, how long should I keep them in there?
During the month while candeling, I noticed they looke like the were all in different stages, I summed this up to not knowing what I was doing. I would hate to throw live ones out, but I don't want to continue growing bacteria.
I'd candle again you should see a slanted air cell and the rest of the egg will be full of duckling. but if hatch day wasn't till yesterday I'd give it at least 2-3 more days, Are these eggs in a bator or under a duck?

Thanks for responding so fast. They are in a hovabator 1602n (or something like that) with a pc fan to circulate air. These are indian runners.
I candled all of them Friday after all the commotion stopped. (-; all of them had the slanted air sac with the rest of the egg being completely dark. Didn't really look for movement, we wanted to get in and out quickly, however, when the others started hatching, everyone had movement.

Thanks for responding so fast. They are in a hovabator 1602n (or something like that) with a pc fan to circulate air. These are indian runners.
I candled all of them Friday after all the commotion stopped. (-; all of them had the slanted air sac with the rest of the egg being completely dark. Didn't really look for movement, we wanted to get in and out quickly, however, when the others started hatching, everyone had movement.
That's kind of suspicious,but since I use ducks for hatching you might want to go to the hatch day thread there you will talk to other that use bators. I'll get you the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594278/thread-formerly-known-as-hatch-day-is-today/37570

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom