When to transplant??

Reedo5

Songster
Aug 19, 2017
Finger lakes region, NY
My first year starting seeds inside an im wondering when an how do you know when to transplant your seedlings? Here are mine now
20200407_195257.jpg

Squash
20200407_195309.jpg

Tomato
20200407_195313.jpg

Cucumbers
20200407_195318.jpg

Cauliflower, broccoli, tomato
20200407_195238.jpg

Marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers

Before transplanting you will need to harden off your seedlings. You can do this by moving them outside in the sun for an hour the first day, 2 the second and so on. This will avoid sun scald on your plants because the sun is so much stronger than grow lights and adjust them to the change in temps and wind. I would start hardening off when temps are above freezing. Things like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant are not cold hardy so I usually wait till night time temps won't be below 50. Brassicas can usually handle a little bit of a frost. Its a good idea to know your last frost date for your area. When it gets close watch the 10 day forecast make sure it won't go below freezing this is usually a good time to start. If you get a sudden cold snap and already transplanted them you can try covering them with something like harvest guard until its passed.

Before transplanting you will need to harden off your seedlings. You can do this by moving them outside in the sun for an hour the first day, 2 the second and so on. This will avoid sun scald on your plants because the sun is so much stronger than grow lights and adjust them to the change in temps and wind. I would start hardening off when temps are above freezing. Things like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant are not cold hardy so I usually wait till night time temps won't be below 50. Brassicas can usually handle a little bit of a frost. Its a good idea to know your last frost date for your area. When it gets close watch the 10 day forecast make sure it won't go below freezing this is usually a good time to start. If you get a sudden cold snap and already transplanted them you can try covering them with something like harvest guard until its passed.
Harden them off and when it warm enough for them and they have true leaves then you can plant them. Although you may want to wait longer.

I wouldn't move them yet the ones in the 2x2 cells should be good for for a few weeks probably can get away without repotting and just transplant directly from those. The smaller cells you might have to move out in a week or two depending on growth. I would look at the roots, not yet but when they get bigger. If you want to move the tomatoes that have two in a cell transplant one into a different cell only leave one in there or just thin it out completely same for the cauliflower maybe you could keep two but i would thin out a couple on those.

You can type into google average last frost date for and then put your zip this will give you a rough estimate when its ok to start planting things into your garden. From there look at your forecast and see if you will have cold nights if so wait if the weather looks good it should be safe to plant but the weather has been crazy lately so it is an unpredictable thing. Some things like your cauliflower can tolerate colder temps then tomatoes, peppers, eggplant

I would leave them all except the cucumbers and sunflowers. I have had a hard time transplanting both for some reason. I would put them in peat/paper pots.

Don't rush the heat-lovers outside (tomatoes, squash, etc). I have lost many plants to very late surprise freezes. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom