when to turn off the heat lamp in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bonebrake, Apr 6, 2009.

1. bonebrake

bonebrake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hola chicken officianados. I'm pretty new to this chicken thing and was wondering when it's safe to turn off the heat lamp.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ, so we have pretty decent weather right now. mid 80's to low 50's at night. The chickens are just at the 2 month mark and seem to have most of their adult feathers.

I'm sure this has been beat to death on the site, but I couldn't find any real info for the Phoenix area.

Any Phoenix folks have some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We're a lot colder than you down here and I just turned mine off tonight. My peeps are 8 weeks and in the coop.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 8 weeks old and those temps., turn that light off.
    Fair warning though, the first night without their lights they think their little world is coming to an end and protest loudly. They get over it.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've got almost 7 week olds out there... with the light on.

They are gonna get surprised though the Friday after next, when the light comes out... I've got to get their pen ready because I'll have chicks hatching from the 24th through the 27th.

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ive got 3 week old chicks outside right now. everyone does just fine, BUT i put them in a smaller cage and cover it with a heavy sleeping bag to keep the warmth in....

6. bonebrake

bonebrake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Alright. I'm gonna turn the light off - hope they don't get too chirpy. Good thing my neighbor is out of town this week!

Thank y'all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by