When to use the heat lamp

CountryHeart06

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I have 6 chicks that will be 5 weeks tomorrow and from what I've read means they should be fully feathered and not need the heat lamp. However it has been getting down to upper 30's at night occasionally. They are in my kitchen at the moment but will soon be evicted to live in their new coop. So I'm wondering at what temps they need the heat lamp even though they should have all their feathers. Thanks!

I have the same question. I have three batches of chicks on the enclosed back porch, all three with lights on them. I just turned off the light on the oldest batch. They are at least six weeks old and mostly feathered out. The porch is still warm due to the other two lights, but I'll check on them tonight to make sure they're not too cold.

They will be fine. My turned 5 weeks old yesterday and they are out in the garage with no heat lamp and it's in the 30's at night, and only 40's in the day time.

It's really a matter of making a judgement call. I will say that at five weeks mine were out in the coop - no electric so no light/heat. Within a few days of them moving out our 70/50 streak of days came to a screeching halt when we had a snowy cold snap with temps below freezing - they were happy as little clams in their nice dry, draft free coop.

Back
Top Bottom