when will chicks be ready to stop the starter food???

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
my 8 week old chicks are still on starter crumbles. i am mixing some scratch in and they seem to like that but when do i stop the crumbles altogether???

36766_pics_336.jpg

36766_pics_368.jpg

Last edited:
You can switch them to starter pellets when they get a little bigger. They seem to like that better then the crumble.

Then switch them to layer when they start to lay eggs~ Some are 16-18 weeks but certain breeds are more like 22-26 so it depends on when that first egg comes.

I switched to Nutrena layer pellets when my first girl started laying at 20 wks but they like the Nutrena layer crumbles better.

I started with Nutrena starter crumbles.

For a snack, I like to mix together scratch, oatmeal, and BOSS (black oiled sunflower seeds) that I sprinkle in their run for them to scratch twice a day.

i have never given them laying pellets they are not egg chickens, just pets. they pretty much free range and the have scratch when the come in in the evening, they also get various table scraps and the eggs they do lay are cracked for them as a source of protein. so with laying pellets out of the picture when are they ready for scratch and table scraps and stuff?

Dont forget to throw in some oyster shell each day. I add a handful into their Purina Layena crumble food.

I think you do chick starter until they are 10 weeks, then 10-16 weeks you put them on grower, and 18 + weeks you start them on layer. Some breeds don't need layer until they older and starting to lay. Layers start anywhere from 18-26 weeks.

after eight weeks they don't need the starter food anymore. you can switch to a grower crumble or a layer food. I do not know of any other chicken food other than a fat and finish for plumping up culls. I would not worry about the name of "layer" just that it is food for a mature bird. so after eight weeks you can switch to either the grower or the layer whichever you prefer. either would be good.

Back
Top Bottom