When will he crow?

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
I am new to all of this and was wondering when my 12 week old buff orp cockerel would crow? He is the only guy around but he can hear a roo off in the distance in the am. Can anyone tell me?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Ours usually start practicing around eight to twelve weeks. But we have a lot of roos the young ones can take notes from. I would think any day; maybe it's taking him a bit longer if he only has one roo to listen to.

Mine is 18 weeks old, he started maybe 3-4 weeks ago. They sounded like a kid going thru puberty but he's got it down now. Though he crows all day long... I am thinking of buying him a clock. LOL

Our BLRW roo just started at 20 weeks and he is in with another (buffPolish) same age(not crowing yet) and our senior dark brahma bantam. I think they do it when the hormones and the mood strikes them. They are very funny when they are learning. You may hear a squawk like maybe he has had his toe stepped on at first.

Thanks, for the info guys. Also, I was wondering he is little, well, I mean, smaller than some of my pullets his own age and they pick on him sometimes. I would have thought that since "he is the man" they would kind of leave him alone. I guess I just assumed the roos would be at the head of the pecking order? Maybe not until he gets older?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Probably not until he gets older/bigger than them. My cockerel is a lot smaller than my pullets, he's a few weeks younger than they are too. They like to pick on him as well, but I doubt it will continue once he grows.

Back
Top Bottom