When will he crow?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by texaschickmama, Sep 27, 2007.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I am new to all of this and was wondering when my 12 week old buff orp cockerel would crow? He is the only guy around but he can hear a roo off in the distance in the am. Can anyone tell me?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ours usually start practicing around eight to twelve weeks. But we have a lot of roos the young ones can take notes from. I would think any day; maybe it's taking him a bit longer if he only has one roo to listen to.

3. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Mine is 18 weeks old, he started maybe 3-4 weeks ago. They sounded like a kid going thru puberty but he's got it down now. Though he crows all day long... I am thinking of buying him a clock. LOL

4. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Our BLRW roo just started at 20 weeks and he is in with another (buffPolish) same age(not crowing yet) and our senior dark brahma bantam. I think they do it when the hormones and the mood strikes them. They are very funny when they are learning. You may hear a squawk like maybe he has had his toe stepped on at first.

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks, for the info guys. Also, I was wondering he is little, well, I mean, smaller than some of my pullets his own age and they pick on him sometimes. I would have thought that since "he is the man" they would kind of leave him alone. I guess I just assumed the roos would be at the head of the pecking order? Maybe not until he gets older? [​IMG]

6. Chicki_Pooh

Chicki_Pooh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2007
    McKinleyville, CA
    Quote:Probably not until he gets older/bigger than them. My cockerel is a lot smaller than my pullets, he's a few weeks younger than they are too. They like to pick on him as well, but I doubt it will continue once he grows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by