When will my Black Australorp lay

Egg king

Songster
Mar 13, 2021
South Africa
Asalamulaikum
Hi
I have a black Australorp hen which is around 16 to 20 weeks old
I would like to know when would she start laying.I think she molted because i can see like small feathers which are still starting to grow her comb and wattles have some black but mostly have like pink

Between 5-7 months I’d say is the average age to start laying for any hen. Every hen is different though and sometimes it‘s later or earlier. 5 months is to early to molt, though I wouldn’t be concerned. Normally hens don’t molt until they are around 18 months, or there second autumn (fall).

Hope this helps 😊

Thanks for the help
But shes still small built and she has like pins (if thats the correct way im saying it) in between some of her feather and i can see new feathers growing out
Kinda weird if you say they dont molt so early

Thanks for the help
But shes still small built and she has like pins (if thats the correct way im saying it) in between some of her feather and i can see new feathers growing out
Kinda weird if you say they dont molt so early
Is she being picked on? What are you feeding her?

I bought around a month ago
1 hen and 1 rooster
I had some starter grower from the precious chickens i had so i gave it to them till i think sometime last week then i mixed layers mash with starter grower

You need at least 10 hens per rooster.

I don’t believe that the rooster is causing and problems at the moment but 1 hen to 1 rooster will cause lots of problems for the hen later.

@sourland any ideas what could be wrong?

The first full molt is at about 18 months, at least for spring hatched birds. They also do a series of chick molts through their first five or six months. They don't go bare but the smaller feathers are gradually replaced by bigger feathers.

Of the Australorps I have, all from the same hatchery at the same time, one laid her first egg at 19 weeks and five days and one laid her first egg several weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom