When will my budgie come out of his age ?

When there are two budgies in the cage they will bond with each other instead of with their owner. This, often, makes training/taming harder to impossible. You will need to be very patient. Good luck.

With one budgie its easy to tame it. As soon as there are two it's so much harder ( but certainly not impossible). Budgies are very food motivated so try getting some millet spray or something like that and let them associate your hands with the food. First, feed through the bars then, through the door. Next, move to putting one hand in front of the other so that they have to climb onto your hand in order to get the food.
You'll soon become their best friend :)

I agree with @KingB. That's how I trained 3 parakeets, 2 canaries, and a lovebird.

I've found it's best not to let them out until they're finger tame, or it can be difficult to get them back in the cage. Also expect that they will fly into things like walls until they can control their flight in the small space of a room or house. Cover any mirrors and windows so they don't think that's a place to fly.

My parakeets liked lettuce, cucumbers, corn, pasta, and millet best, but each will have his or her own preferences. Try different things to see what each likes best. One even liked chicken! :eek:

When first letting the budgie/s out of it's cage, have a look though these.

Close the curtains, to prevent him crashing into the window and possibly injuring himself

Cover all fires and chimneys

Close all doors and windows

Put fragile ornaments out of reach – these are likely to be on ledges: just the sort of place your bird will want to perch on

Make sure there are no dogs, cats or unruly children in the room – an early trauma could set your taming efforts back by days

Make sure there are some out-of-reach places for the budgie to perch – curtain tops and book shelves for example: your bird will be nervous on the first few flights, and will favour somewhere high and secure
In time he will start to perch on chairs, furniture, the floor, and you: make sure you’re happy for him to land pretty much anywhere, as flapping your arms around to wave him away will scare him

Put some toys in the room – anything from a ping pong ball on the floor to a budgie-sized climbing frame on the sideboard

Remove any houseplants you don’t want nibbled

Switch off any fans

Cover or remove mirrors – it doesn’t always happen, but some birds have been known to fly headlong into them

When first letting the budgie/s out of it's cage, have a look though these.

Close the curtains, to prevent him crashing into the window and possibly injuring himself

Cover all fires and chimneys

Close all doors and windows

Put fragile ornaments out of reach – these are likely to be on ledges: just the sort of place your bird will want to perch on

Make sure there are no dogs, cats or unruly children in the room – an early trauma could set your taming efforts back by days

Make sure there are some out-of-reach places for the budgie to perch – curtain tops and book shelves for example: your bird will be nervous on the first few flights, and will favour somewhere high and secure
In time he will start to perch on chairs, furniture, the floor, and you: make sure you’re happy for him to land pretty much anywhere, as flapping your arms around to wave him away will scare him

Put some toys in the room – anything from a ping pong ball on the floor to a budgie-sized climbing frame on the sideboard

Remove any houseplants you don’t want nibbled

Switch off any fans

Cover or remove mirrors – it doesn’t always happen, but some birds have been known to fly headlong into them
Thanks for everyone’s feedback - much appreciated 👍👍

Thanks for everyone’s feedback - much appreciated 👍👍
Well the budgie who wouldn’t come out did today! He had a good fly around the lounge and his new friend chose not too . Did worry about getting him back in as both not hand tamed , still afraid of my hands! But put a treat in his cage and then he flew back in ! Might have been coincidence, but worked out well this time !

Back
Top Bottom