When will my chickens be safe around my cat?

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
My cat (1 year old) killed one of my chicks when it was about 8 weeks old while the chicks were free ranging. Since then I've had them cooped up. Now the chicks are 16 weeks old and about the same size as the cat. When will I be able to let them free range again?

i think it really depends on the cat. Years ago i had three standard size chickens, two RIR and a WCN Polish. My cat never bothered them, even when they were small and in the house. But then he was just a mellow guy.

Generally a cat won't bother a chicken that is the same size or larger. But, if you have a very predatory cat, even the size of the chicken may not stop it. Hopefully others will weigh in on this issue.

Yeah, the cat likes to watch them through the wire fencing. I think he's still like to get his paws on them. I just know that I can trust him. My other two cats couldn't care less about the chickens.

My cats act all nonchalant about the chix (now 17 weeks old and bigger than the cats) when they roam outside their pen. However, they have shown me several times that given a turned back, mine and/or the girls', they will pounce. I'm always out there when they range the backyard, and no harm has been done, but I don't trust the I'll-just-lie-here-in-the-sun-like-I'm-napping look from any of the cats anymore.

My hens are not afraid of my cats. I almost have to protect the cats. But let a strange cat come into the yards and they set up a fuss. Guess they can tell them apart.

Imp

I have the same concern. I have four cats and a dog. The dog can not be trusted as she is a bird dog, chases anything that moves. Of the cats, two are house cats and wouldn't know what to do with a chicken unless it came out of a can. The other two are hunters. They will bring back mice, birds, even baby rabbits. They are the ones I do not trust. At least the dog is caged separately, the cats are definitely free range. My chickens want to get out of the run, but I just can't protect them if I do. They are 20 weeks old now, but I do not think that will intimidate my two hunters.

My girls and the roosters will challenge my cats. Usually it's the cat that gives up. My birds vary in ages from 12 weeks to 26 weeks. None lost to the felines yet...

I have a cat who takes an interest in the chickens. They are in their 15th week now and some of them are still pretty small. The cat has tried to catch a couple of them. I heard a big squawk or two and turn around to see the cat slinking away. I really need the chickens to gang up on her.

I'm still waiting for my chickens - 15 1/2 months old - to stand up to our cat. She still goes after them and even if she doesn't catch one they hurt themselves trying to get away.
Killer Kitty stays in the house now so my chickens can free range.

Back
Top Bottom