When will my chickens start to lay?

Ok, so I have some buff orpingtons and black austrolorp chickens, and some I don't even know what breed they are. They are about 6 months old. Only one of the black austrolorp chickens have started to lay. When will this happen?
They will lay soon. Can you post pics of their combs? Don’t worry with winter coming they will slow down or not lay until spring. I know @LlamaGirl4 had a chicken that was 11 months old before it first laid it’s first egg.

They will lay soon. Can you post pics of their combs? Don’t worry with winter coming they will slow down or not lay until spring. I know @LlamaGirl4 had a chicken that was 11 months old before it first laid it’s first egg.
I can't right now because it is dark outside. I checked their combs today only one black austrolorp had a comb that was red. All the others have no combs or really tiny and pink ones.

Upon occasion late hatched pullets do not lay until their first spring. The shortening day length halts their hormone levels, and they do not become productive until day length increases. If one is laying, it is more likely that the others will lay. Increasing 'day length' with artificial lighting up to 14 hours would increase egg laying.

The EE/OE crosses given their varied genetic backgrounds will very likely wait until spring to lay.

Easter Egger and Olive egger. They are technically mixes.
Upon occasion late hatched pullets do not lay until their first spring. The shortening day length halts their hormone levels, and they do not become productive until day length increases. If one is laying, it is more likely that the others will lay. Increasing 'day length' with artificial lighting up to 14 hours would increase egg laying.

The EE/OE crosses given their varied genetic backgrounds will very likely wait until spring to lay.
OK, so I can expect for them to lay in spring?

Back
Top Bottom