1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my chicks move into the roosting house?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cbourbeau32, Sep 27, 2015.

1. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    I just introduced my 15 chicks hatched (incubator) about six weeks ago into the chicken run/roost house last night. When I moved them after dark I put them in the house but tonight when they came into the run and I locked the door for the night they just huddle in the corner while the rest of the chickens go into the house. Will they figure it out or do I need to move them in for a few nights straight till they get the picture? Also will they learn to use the elevated roosts on their own? The last batch had a momma to help them. These are incubated.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You should usher them in before dark, eventually they will catch on, and they will probably huddle on the floor for a bit before they start trying to roost.

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    x2

4. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    Thanks, that is what I thought I might need to do.

5. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, there really is an easier way to get chicks to go into the coop at night. You need to teach them using their own strong instincts.

Wait until the adults have roosted and the chicks are making their bedtime trilling noises. Then you go into the coop, preferably with a light so the chicks can see where they're going and lure them inside with their favorite treat.

If you try to chase them down and grab them and stuff them inside, it just stresses everyone and the process takes much longer than it needs to.

The first night, it may take some time to get them to come inside. But the rest will usually go in once one or two do. The second night will be a little easier, and perhaps by the third night, they will be starting to go in on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by