When will my cockerels start crowing?

Jan 21, 2022
PNW
My chick flock of 9 that a coyote whittled down to 7, hatched out the week of July 22-28.. All but 1 are roos. But NONE of the roos have crowed yet. I'm home most of the time and can hear Papa bird no problem with closed windows, so I'd definitely hear if a newbie was singing the song of his people.

All 7 chicks live in the coop with the main flock. Other than some quick squabbles between the young roos, they live in harmony within the pecking order. I will say, I now totally get the whole phrase "hen pecked". :lol: I have 3 hens that all look alike that rule the roost that keep those youngsters in line.

Anyway, I've read that roos can start to crow as early as 10 weeks. Well mine are well passed that age at 21 weeks. Are mine defective?!

Papa is boss rooster, boss roosters typically reserve the right to crow and mate
Huh... good to know. I'm learning new things all the time about chickens.

His sons, who have been living in the main coop since 8 weeks old, have yet to challenge him. He's a good rooster. Not aggressive to people at all and is a gentleman with his ladies. Unfortunately most of the cockerels came from smaller mothers, so they've been slow to mature and reach a good eating weight, and since they get along well with the main flock, they have a stay of execution, for now. I will be keeping the only offspring of my Swedish black hen, who looks like his father, but with black nails. He's a pretty bird and sweet. Since his mother is dead and only has one half sister, I'm not too worried about inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom