When will my flock start laying?

FuzzyButtFarm

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Just wondering when my flock will start laying? I have 2 RIR, 2 BJG and 1 SLW. They were all born on 3/1/14. I have had them on Dumor layer feed since 6/1.

I'm not familiar with those breeds - but, I think it is too early to expect eggs. When the girls get reddened combs and faces and squat when you touch them on the back - they will start laying soon.

Are any of them behaving like that now?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Pullets start laying at 20-25 weeks of age, on average. Some breeds start a bit sooner and some a bit later. Hope yours don't make you wait too long!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sumi X2 Most breeds lay between 5 and 6 months of age. So yours should be laying sometime in mid August to mid September. I know how hard it is to wait for those eggs!! When they start to squat for you, combs and faces all red, the eggs will be coming down the pipes soon! At that point, you will want to head to the feed store for some layer feed and oyster shell. For now, keep them on the starter feed.

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

These are my 2 Rhode Island Reds. They are both getting squatty!

Lucy has a small comb and pretty good waddles but Penny has a larger comb and smaller waddles.

These are my 2 Black Jersey Giants. They aren't squatty and I have read they take longer to start laying.

Both BJG girls are starting to form their combs and teeny tiny waddles but their faces are bright red.

This is my lone Silver Lace Wyandotte. (she had a sister that didn't make it out of the brooder :( She runs the place and does as she pleases!! When I am able to catch her and pet her she is not squatty yet either. But she is my favorite because of her color.

Her waddles are by far the biggest in the flock!! But her comb is practically non existent!

I have never given mine kitchen scraps. I don't even let the dog have table food, I guess I'm a little over protective! lol. I do give the girls fresh cabbage 1x a week, dried meal worms a couple times a week and I throw out a few hand fulls of scratch daily when I let them out to roam the yard. Occasionally I will give them fresh fruit but this is my first go at chickens and Im afraid I will make them sick. This morning my 4 year old daughter made them a "chicken salad" green and red grapes, apples, carrots and snap peas and they are strutting it in the yard!!

I am so glad I found this site. I have been hand raising these chicks since they were 3 days hatched based on google searches!!

Back
Top Bottom