When will my girls lay?

Lindz

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Eastern Iowa
I got 5 Americauana girls that I think will start to lay soon. They are 16 weeks now. I got them the begining of April. I can bearly contain my excitment going out there and getting our frist green/blue eggie
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
When should I expect to see that first egg?

Don't be too surprised if they lay later. I got Ameraucana pullets last year and they didn't lay until around 30 weeks. I would watch their combs and faces for redness and watch for them to squat for you.

Darn it! I was hoping they would start laying sooner rather than later
sad.png
My SIL told me they should around 18 weeks, is that not true?

I think most people are overyly optemistic when trying to guess when thier pullets will start to lay. I hav had certain breeds start laying around 24 weeks and others not until about 9-10 months, and if they hit the right age in deep winter, sometimes that has delayed laying, too.

Quote:
A lot of your sex link breeds that are bred to be killer layers sometimes will start early but most of your standard breeds will usually start around 20 weeks. I have heard that the breed that you have start a little later.

Ah well shoot. Its ok I still love them girls no matter when they lay. This will just keep building more suspence for when that first one does come.
smile.png
Thanks for helping.

Back
Top Bottom