When will my hen be ready to leave her chicks?

Kayempea

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Hi, I’m new here (though I’ve looked to these forums many times over the past 10 years for information!).

Our Wyandotte went broody at the end of April - usually we would remove a broody hen from the nest box and discourage them from sitting. However, this time we decided, as we would be at home due to lockdown, to allow her to raise a brood. Initially we bought six hatching eggs, all of which failed to hatch after 3 weeks. Given how devoted she was to her little clutch, we managed to get 6 three day old chicks for her. She took to them straight away and has been a fantastic Mum. They are now almost 7 weeks old, but she is still encouraging them to sleep under her at night. (See photo). At what point should we remove her from their coop and re-introduce her to the rest of the flock? They all mix together happily in the garden through the day, the chicks are fully feathered but still very attached to Luna (mum). She seems very happy with this arrangement, and my main concern is that she would allow this to continue until they are mature! I have two coops, so could just open them up to all the hens - currently the brood coop is separated by a small run for the chicks. Any helpful advice appreciated!
493FF3AB-FB3A-4973-8539-464E25671B11.jpeg

Oh wow really? Usually by now she will have begun roosting with them. Mine did. Usually 6 to 8 weeks is when the momma hen stops being a momma and reintegrates herself back in to her old flock.

Are there roosts available where they sleep?

Yes, we’ve got perches in the coop for them - but they all still seem to prefer snuggling up with Mum! I’m hoping if the weather warms up again they will start roosting at night, as they will happily perch for a snooze during the day x

Back
Top Bottom