When will my hen lay??!!

Pip's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Central AR
I have a 22-23 week old buff brahma...I know they are late bloomers but I am getting antsy! She is in the coop with 2 roosters (which will have to change soon) and seems to be showing all the signs of laying, yet nothing? Her lil comb is red, I have seen her in the hen box, she is the appropriate size, and still nothing. When my son pets her she does go to the ground and stays there until he lets up. Is this squatting? I thought maybe I should take her away from the boys or am I just not giving her enough time? Will a fake egg help? I dunno but I keep checking everyday in hopes for something. Any suggestions?!
smile.png

Ah, waiting for that first egg - it drives you crazy!! It looks like you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing - she's visited the nest box, she knows about squatting (somes w/ sexual maturity, just like laying), you've been checking for eggs. That's about all you really can do at this point. A fake egg (golf balls work fine) in the nest box will remind her where she should lay her egg, but it won't speed the process along. A pullet's laying marks the start of her ovulation, and just like with humans, first onset falls within an age range, with lots of individual variation. The presence of absence of the roosters shouldn't affect her laying - as long as she's in good condition and doesn't seem too harassed by them, there's probably no need to move the boys.

She should start laying soon, maybe another week or two. She may a few soft-shelled eggs at first, but they usually move out of that after a week or so. It's maddening, the period before they start, but worth it in the end. Good things come to those who wait.
smile.png

If she is a Brahma it will probably be sooner. My phoenix are a much wilder gamier breed then most chickens and are more variable. I've never had Brahmas so I really couldn't say positively about them though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom