When will my new hens lay?

A year and a year and a half. That's what I was thinking. Maybe a week or so. Do hens stop laying around 4 years old? Thanks for the reply!

A year and a year and a half. That's what I was thinking. Maybe a week or so. Do hens stop laying around 4 years old? Thanks for the reply!
It depends, they don't stop from one day to another, they usually slow down their egg production year by year, then they stop many years later (I know about 8-10 year old chickens which still layed few eggs per year)

Given the shortened daylight period, the move, and their age they may take a break in their laying cycle for far longer than a week or so. If they are high production hybrids, they have at least another year of good production. If dual purpose birds they may lay longer than 4 years of age.
One is a buff orp so that's a dual purpose bird right?

I have a similar situation. We took in 5 hens that were in poor conditions. They are thin, scared and are finishing molting. I plan to give them 6-8 week before making a decision on their future. That may be a generous amount of time but they need weight, nutrition and time to settle in. This time of year for us is a slowdown anyways so I am trying to give them a good amount of time to start laying.
Good luck on your hens. Please let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom