When will my Old English Game Bantam lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kateschickens1, Sep 24, 2013.

1. kateschickens1

kateschickens1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    My Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam is about 19 weeks old. I'm hoping she'll lay soon. She hasn't been squatting much, but shes been a bit noisier.

2. kateschickens1

Jun 12, 2013
    When will she lay

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Old English Game are not the greatest layers, so she may be a little slow to start. Most chickens start laying at five to six months old. When she gets closer to laying, she'll squat often and her comb and wattles will become redder.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Watch her comb color. When it gets really bright she will lay. Chickens combs signal when they ovulate and they turn bright cherry red like a roosters comb.

Chickens mature at different rates. My barred rock laid at 24 weeks and my GLW were 37 weeks. My SLW were 34 weeks and my leghorns were 20 weeks when they laid their first eggs.

Can you post a photo?

It is hard to be patient but unless she crows she will lay an egg.

Caroline

5. kateschickens1

Jun 12, 2013
    Yesterday I noticed a complete difference in comb color it got a lot darker, but today I think it faded a little bit
    Here's some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry they aren't the best pictures

6. We recently had on "adopt"us. I don't know her age but she had laid a small-medium white egg 6 of 7 days. Hope she starts soon for you. I've heard 20 weeks on most

7. kateschickens1

Jun 12, 2013
    She is a great layer currently thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by