When will my pullet start laying?

Keep an eye on her face around her eyes, it will get much deeper red at point of lay. She looks to be quite close in this pic.
I'll go take a look at her now. She started squatting a couple days ago, but she could have been a squatter earlier since I don't go to pet them or pick them up everyday.

Here she is today, squatting for the picture!
big_smile.png

I have not experienced squatting with any of my birds, really. I guess I'm not really quite sure what it looks like.

She is the escape artist and gets out of the run every day within about 2 minutes of me opening the coop. The run has no roof yet, but it's about 8 feet high. Child's play for her to get over. Hopefully she's not laying eggs somewhere I haven't checked yet!

Thanks for all the responses! But by all means, keep going if you'd like! :D

I have not experienced squatting with any of my birds, really. I guess I'm not really quite sure what it looks like.

She is the escape artist and gets out of the run every day within about 2 minutes of me opening the coop. The run has no roof yet, but it's about 8 feet high. Child's play for her to get over. Hopefully she's not laying eggs somewhere I haven't checked yet!

Thanks for all the responses! But by all means, keep going if you'd like! :D
Mine squat when I put my hand above them. I'm assuming they think I'm the rooster coming to mate. But they will squat and the wings will slightly go outwards and they totally go stone like for a moment. Generally I give them a good petting and they are off again.
You might need to clip her wing. I had to with mine as they always wanted to fly out of the run. The heavier birds dont even try but the leghorns always seem to tempt fate... and my dogs. (Dogs have won once so far)

My girls didn't start squatting until they started laying, so that being said, I think she is very close indeed.
smile.png

Not the greatest pic but this is one of my leghorn girls at about 18-19 weeks and she had just started laying.
She is kinda close to yours. Great variety of chicken breeds! We currently have 2 cochin babies and a baby EE.

She laid her first egg yesterday!! It was soooo tiny! Ahh! She had been going in to lay the egg, nesting and everything, then I'd hear her egg song and run out of the house, but false alarm. She did that a couple times. So by the third-or-so time, I heard it, and figured it was not going to happen, but it did! I'm so happy!

She changed SOO much in appearance since the picture I posted first. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom