When will my quail start laying?

QuailMom14

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2018
My corturnix quail are about 17 wks and my georgia bobwhites are about 26 wks I figured they would start laying by now because we live in florida and it doesn't get very cold. At nights it gets around 30's and 40's so I keep a red inferred heat lamp on. I was wondering if they will start laying in spring?

They may need extra light, the days are too short. You can give them extra light, I think it's 14 hours but I don't remember, or you can wait until Spring. It doesn't have to be bright light, 75 or 100 watts will do from what I've read.

My corturnix quail are about 17 wks and my georgia bobwhites are about 26 wks I figured they would start laying by now because we live in florida and it doesn't get very cold. At nights it gets around 30's and 40's so I keep a red inferred heat lamp on. I was wondering if they will start laying in spring?
Make sure they have 14 hours a day of light. After about a week they should start laying. If not check for something that may be frightening or harming them. Could be anything from a dog to a possum. Good luck. I also leave a radio playing low where they are and they lay even during thunderstorms. I love in Louisiana.

Hello there, do you have a male with the little ladies? I have found some hens need a male to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom