When will my rhode island reds start laying?

Thanks for the advice. Basically it's an 8X4 A Frame tractor with the nesting box off the back. The roosts are about 3 inches higher than the nesting box. The coop itself is 4X4 if I remember correctly. Is it too small for them? My husband is going to build a bigger one this weekend, so hopefully that helps. Do you think I'll be able to break them of this habit once we have a more conducive coop? In the meantime here's what we have now.

First egg!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice size! My husband heard the egg song yesterday morning and sure enough there it was. I imagine now we'll start seeing them more and more frequently. Is there anyway to figure out which hen laid the egg?

Are all of them doing the squat when u reach for them if not the one that does is most likely but really you would have to watch which one goes in the box to lay.

Hi everyone! So I have 2 RIR and a white leghorn about 21 weeks old ready to lay - big, bright combs and wattles and doing the squat. Last week we got our first little brown egg, yay! But... that was it. It's been 10 days. My white leghorn started laying 3 days ago and has laid an egg a day, but we haven't had anymore from the RIRs. Is this normal? I don't mind waiting, it just seemed odd to get one egg and then nothing else... will they eventually lay regularly?

My RIR are about 13 weeks. They do not have much on their heads yet. Wondering if they need more protein other than the medicated chick starter food. My mom mentioned they look kind of dull also. First time chicken owner here.

This was jus two weeks ago. Would make them about 11 weeks or so. Should they have more comb?

Back
Top Bottom