1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoosterPecked, Nov 4, 2010.

1. RoosterPecked

RoosterPecked Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    I have 6 hens, 2 guineas and 2 roosters. The hens have been laying eggs now for about 2 months now and all of my flock are about the same age. The 2 roosters "hangout" together while free ranging and have yet to show signs of aggression toward each other. One is a bit larger than the other one. When should I expect to hear the first crowing? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Dawn

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Anytime now. They will first start with funny sounding attempts. Eventually they will start waking you up.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Once they start your question will change " When will they stop crowing?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    It is weird that they do not crow yet, if the hens that are the same age are already laying.

I have only experience with EE roosters (and one Silkie), but they all crowed before they were 4 months old.

I guess it just depends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by