When will my white leg horn begin too lay? And Why cull?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Berynn, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I have seven chickens. One is a white leg horn, I don't remember what the others are.
    Is culling important , if so why, and how is it done. I was hoping to keep my chicks forever. They are five weeks old now, I live in Riverside California and I am getting ready to put them in their coop, Can a hawlk or an owl steal or kill a chicken? Are they ever save from them if one can. We also have gofers. I have a million questions but I will get these answered first.[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Absolutely, a hawk or owl can kill a chicken. (I know first-hand.) There is stuff that I think is called hawk netting, which you can put over the top of the run to keep them away. Also, my chickens have a few small pine trees that they hide under when they sense danger. Another idea is to put up a "realistic-looking" scarecrow. That works pretty well, or you can put up a bunch of shiny objects (sparkly ribbon, aluminum pie pans, etc.), and that often makes the hawk stay away. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your chickens!

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Leghorns and other light breeds, like Anconas, and Polish lay earlier than your heavy breeds, Brahmas, and Cochins.

In my experience, Obelisk hatched on Memorial Day and was laying by Veteran's Day. So that's about 6 months.
    Any time 20 weeks on, I'd look for an egg. Her comb and wattles will get very bright. And she'll act wierder than normal...she'll pace and make strange noises and wanna hide to lay her egg.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My leghorns started laying between 20 and 22 weeks... in the dead of winter. My heavier birds took 24-26 weeks.

You don't have to cull. Culling occurs when you want to get rid of birds or if a bird is sick beyond repair. It is basically a way to rid of them if they are not meeting your expectations, be it health, show quality, or behavior. If you want to keep them forever, go ahead, you don't have to cull.

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Culling is a personal decision. Some people cull extra cockerels so their pullets & hens are not over stressed, some can't have any roo's due to being in the city. As far as culling hens go that depends on if they are "pets" or livestock. I think bantymum here has a girl thats in her teens who still occasionally lays an egg......so culling is personal. Hens do slow down as they get older & I guess some people would cull them as they are no longer economical producers...I had to cull a cockerel for a number of reasons.

1.) He was taking liberties with my bantam cochin pullet who was like 1/10th his size and I could tell she did NOT appreciate it.

2.) I am in the city and he crowed LOUD (still have 1 cockerel but he is a little bantam cochin and I can barely hear him if I am in the house)

3.) Was unable to rehome him.

6. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    culling.... optional. One member has a 17 year old hen, Goldilocks who has recently laid two eggs in her advanced age.

7. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Basic answer is, culling is generally another word for killing (although sometimes it can refer to removing them from the flock by selling). It's not necessary to kill your chickens, unless they are too ill to live with a good quality of life (in the same way that you would put down a terminally ill dog).

However, there are many reasons why chickens are often culled, including -
    - They are male
    - They are aggressive
    - They are too old to lay anymore
    - They are not good examples of the breed
    - They have deformities
    - They are ill
    - You have too many and need to get rid of some

There are many ways to kill (cull), which can generally be found in the meat birds and diseases sections.

I, myself, don't hatch out as then I know that I won't have to cull the male chicks, because I know I couldn't bring myself to do it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by