White Leg horns not laying but trying to

GreenScoopFarms

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
Very wired situation. I have 3 white legs horns and the rest are of other breeds. They are about 2 years old. They have been laying wonderfully then all the sudden after I removed one for quarantine they all three stopped laying. They go into coop and they act like they are laying but no egg appears. About 4 days ago I brought the leg horn back into flock but no change in behavior. NO they are no going broody, NO they are not laying anywhere else and they have been eating and drinking as normal. This is weird behavior that even my close chicken friend has never seen.

Very wired situation. I have 3 white legs horns and the rest are of other breeds. They are about 2 years old. They have been laying wonderfully then all the sudden after I removed one for quarantine they all three stopped laying. They go into coop and they act like they are laying but no egg appears. About 4 days ago I brought the leg horn back into flock but no change in behavior. NO they are no going broody, NO they are not laying anywhere else and they have been eating and drinking as normal. This is weird behavior that even my close chicken friend has never seen.
I thing to realize is that around eight weeks after starting to lay eggs, the chicken will slowly start to lower in production. And around the age of two they might only lay once a week or stop completely and live until about 11-25 before dieing of natural causes. They might have just stopped laying around when you quarantined them by complete chance. Also they might not have enough calcium and older hens just tend to have the instincts to go and lay an egg every morning and are simply doing nothing as they have no eggs left to lay.

The removal of the one bird could've been stressful enough for the rest of the flock to stop their laying temporarily. Sort of like when a bird gets taken by a predator, the rest of the flock might slow or stop laying for a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom