When will my white leghorn start laying?

Our girls are 23 weeks. Do their looks change when they are ready? These are two of them, and there are two more. Two are bright red like the one in the front, the other two look like the one in the back.
I have 4 Leghorns. When their combs are bright red, floppy, and they are squatting, you can expect an egg any day:)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been reading through for awhile, my White Leghorn is massive. She is easily twice the weight of my other hens, but without looking overweight. She is 29 weeks old and is still not laying... Her waddle and comb are very red, but very small. She doesn't really squat and my rooster has no interest in her at least that I've seen... although I think he thinks I'm the dominant rooster, so he may be hiding it from me
do you guys think maybe she just won't lay? Should I be concerned for her health?

Last edited:
thank you for the post.. just layed her first egg..it was a little small white egg..we are both very happy..
wee.gif

That really looks like a white rock to me. I've been raising leghorns for years and that is just way to big to be a leghorn! I've never had a white leghorn hen more than 4 1/2 pounds......

Chickens can be lazy and they will lay whenever they feel like it. But there are some clues as to when they will start laying. They will start doing the submissive squat, which is what they do before the roo jumps on to do his thing. Their combs will become larger in size also.

I bought some chicks that hatched Nov 16, 2015 from Meyer Hatchery. I have 2 Welsummers, 1 white leghorn and 1 golden sexlink. They are 18 weeks now and I'm waiting patiently for eggs. I thought they were early bloomers but from I'm reading, it can take much longer than the 24-26 weeks. Any ideas?

Michelle

the leghorn should start laying at around 16-17 weeks old. the sexlink around 5- 7 months old. i have 9 of each in my flock and they are egg laying machines.

Hi, I was wondering I am knew also to the chicken world. What is the difference between sexlink and regular chicken? I also have leghorns.

At Easter I bought three hybrid chickens and one pure Light Sussex supposedly at point of lay. The farmer guesstimated their age as 5-6 months old. After a few days all three hybrids have laid daily or on occasion no egg one day followed by a double yolk egg the next. However, the Light Sussex has never laid. She is the biggest bird of the four, very nervous and until we cut her wing feathers would try to fly into the bushes to get away from us. Her comb, although smaller than the other breeds is bright red. Her clocoa is clean and shows no sign of parasites. She looks healthy and eats well. Do you think she will lay eventually or could she be infertile?

I think that each hen starts laying in their own time, and that the farmer guessimated how old they were, so you never know, the hens might have been hatched on different days. Also how long have you had the hens? If you've had them for 2 weeks or under,she may still have a little time untill she could start laying.

Back
Top Bottom