When will our girls start laying some eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Sep 29, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    we check the nest boxes and around the fairly small coop area for eggs almost every day, but can't find any! [​IMG]

ALSO, THEY ARE RED IN THE FACE, WHICH MEANS THAT THEY WILL START LAYING SOON, RIGHT??? [​IMG] I heard that when they have red faces when they are older, that means they are gonna start laying. True?

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Here's a better shot of Cinnamon(sorry about all the shots of her LOL she's my favorite hen and i love taking pics of her! [​IMG]) ) Notice the small comb:
    [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ummm.... I want cinnamon. She is way to adorable!

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]
    Back! back! She's mine! LOL [​IMG]
    Yes, she is adorable! [​IMG] I like her best out of the other 3(Don't tell them i said that! [​IMG] )

But looks like a hen, right?

[​IMG]

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I believe so. I would wait a few more weeks to be sure she is though. Once I thought I had all girls.... I was wrong [​IMG] 7 boys and 5 girls to be exact.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    ya, but she's 16-17 months old NOW. (those pics were taken back when she was younger) She has stopped growing, too a little. I saw a thread where someone explained some ways to tell the dif. between hen/rooster. where has it gone??? [​IMG]
    I know that one characteristic of a hen is it's shorter, and when they are like a week old, they will have a smaller comb and it will be yellow, usually. The rooster's will turn red faster and get bigger, faster. And roosters have longer, slim legs and their tails go up and then curve down, making like an arch. Our hen's tails are pointy and their butts are soo fluffy! [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    She might be a stubborn layer who tinks she can get free food. Males will mature faster and there combs would have turned red at the age of 5+ weeks. Females will have a pinker comb and small wattles.

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:What are "wattles?" are those the little pink things that hang from her chin? [​IMG] (in pic#2 they are slightly visible but now as much as they are today)

And also, I don't know if this is the problem, but, unknowingly, we fed our chicks laying mash. [​IMG] Yes, it was wrong, but we didn't know that it was! Anyway, they didn't really like it, so my dad, after about a week or so, crushed up some cracked corn, making it more like powder, and gave them that. They LOVED it! [​IMG] But I'm wondering if by starting them with laying mash, will it affect them now?
    Now they are being fed cracked corn, bugs(when outside in the run) and laying mash mixed with the corn. any ideas?

9. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    I'm mixed up, if they arent laying then who laid the egg you tried to hatch?

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:LOL OK let me explain! [​IMG] [​IMG]

We have two RIR roosters, 4 pullets, and 2 ADULT HENS. [​IMG]
    The 2 adult red star hens that we got when they were already laying are with the roosters, and one of them (Abby) laid the egg that i tried to hatch. The 4 pullets are in a separate coop.

The pullets didn't lay the egg, the adult hen that we have did! [​IMG] OK?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: