When will our girls start laying some eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I just saw this thread, haven't read all the posts but your pictures look like young pullets not hens.
    They look like they are still getting filled out. They have baby faces.
    You bought these as day olds?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Feed stores sell it. I dont know if laying mash has it? I will check my bag of feed tomorrow and see what it says.

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yes, we did buy them at one day old.
    AGAIN, THESE PICS ARE NOT VERY RECENT!!!! THE SECOND PIC OF CINNAMON UP CLOSE IS THE MOST RECENT ONE I HAVE AT THE MOMENT. [​IMG] ALL THE OTHER MOST RECENT ONES ARE ON MY PHONE AND I CAN'T PUT THEM ON HERE. I WILL GET MORE RECENT ONES LATER WHEN I GO TO MY DADS HOUSE AGAIN!)WHICH IS STILL LIKE IN A WEEK)
    ok? [​IMG]

4. leslie

leslie In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    well stop dreaming i have 29 hen various ages.. from 2 years to 1 year and no eggs.. see my post on this board.
    im at the end of my rope.. cant figure it out.. started to cart th em to Admore Tenn where they have a sale place for chickens. ive heard that mexicans are lined up there to buy chickens and will buy all they can get for 5 bucks each and sometimes more.
    but they are my girls.. ive invested much heart and soul and of course a fortune in them and i do expect some type of return... if nothing more than to keep my DH from making fun of my little venture.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:how old were your chickens when you got them ? Strange the whole flock is not laying . VERY UNUSAL ...........

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Songster

My pullets are about the same age; I'm expecting the to begin laying in late October while we're in Indiana for a week. [​IMG]

One good indicator is the combs/wattles turn a brighter red, and the pullets will begin to squat in front of you instead of skedaddling. That's the time to put a nest into the coop.

Carla

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Oh NO .... My nesting boxes have been in the coop since the day we completed the coop . Hens that are laying are teaching the new pullets that are going to start laying soon , where to go and what to do ...

LIKE , FOLLOW THE LEADER ... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: