When will our girls start laying some eggs???

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Our pullets are about....16 or 17 months old? I'm pretty close, since we got them in around July or June, 2007. They are a little over a year that means.
Our girls are pretty large! :eek: There are 4 total(plus two other hens who are laying that we bought from someone) But the pullet breeds are: 2 buff orps, and 2 red stars. They are all hens, pretty sure. Fluffing out nicely and voices have changed(one still makes peep-like noises though LOL)
So my question is, When should they start laying some eggs???
hu.gif
And when should they be old enough to go broody?
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Quote:
mm....strange.
hu.gif
Why aren't they laying already???
hu.gif

REMINDER: THEY ARE BUFF ORPS AND RED STARS!!!!
thumbsup.gif

That is an odd duck
lol.png

The majority of hens will lay between five to six months.
Can you give us a few up to date photographs of your girls? And most importantly ~ have you heard any kind of noise that resembles a crow??
Just a thought ~ when you received your chickens, were they smaller and grew under your care? If they were full grown when you received them, I would have to say the chickens are past laying age.

Sorry about this predicament!
hmm.png
How lousy to be waiting and waiting and waiting...

Carla

Another thought ~ could those silly girls be laying their eggs in a hidden nest somewhere? They will do that even with a beautifully built nest at their disposal.
If the hens are free range at any time, then I'd begin hunting.
smile.png

Carla

Quote:
They should of started laying at 5 to 6 MONTHS .... Do you have them ALL on laying pellets ? Do they have combs and wattles ? LONG OVER DUE FOR THEM TO BE LAYING .... LAYING PELLETS A MUST HAVE

Last edited:
We bought them when they were 1 day old. They are not really free-ranged, and they either stay in the coop(which is in the garage) or out in the small run. mostly in the coop though. The person we bought them from said they were hens(they said they weren't certain, but were pretty sure, and they showed my dad how to tell the dif.) They don't make crowing sounds, just hen sounds, like our two other adult red star hens who are laying.

Here's a pic of Cinnamon, not very resent. My most resent pics are on my phone, and I can't get them onto the computer!
barnie.gif

Here's Cinnamon, one of the largest of them all:
14678_chicken_pics_016.jpg

And here she is again (younger) in the coop in the garage:

14678_chicken_pics_008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom