When will the avian flu pass?! RESPOND FAST!!!!!

BellaBMM

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
I REALLY want ducks this summer but I don't want them to get sick so does anyone know when it's gonna pass!!!????
th.gif
he.gif

Avian flu usually only raises concerns during migration seasons. Infected flocks of poultry are destroyed immediately after testing, which keeps flock to flock transmission to a minimum.

Are there infected flocks anywhere near you?

I REALLY want ducks this summer but I don't want them to get sick so does anyone know when it's gonna pass!!!????
th.gif
he.gif

It is never going to pass. Just like people influenza, avian influenza is here to stay. And it is morphing. I was recently reading about the NEW North American version of Asia's H5N1 avian flu. Asia's H5N1 is one wicked critter you do not want to dance with. 60% mortality in humans. It is not in North America. The H5 part comes from Asia. Avian flu in North America is merging with the H5 part from Asia. We now have H5N2, H5N8, and more recently, a new version of H5N1 in North America. Our version of H5N1 is not the same as Asia's H5N1. Go figure.

What is most interesting to me is that not all species of birds will fall victim to avian influenza. From what I have read, waterfowl, including ducks, remain asymptomatic. They are carriers of the virus but do not get sick from it.

That seems to be the case, that they won't get sick...but some flocks have had dead ducks..or...for some reason they were suspected, and culled. Look at USDA's website, and you will see that there was at least one backyard flock of ducks that were culled, and several mixed flocks. If you're in the target range, ie, within a certain number of miles of an infected commercial farm, the USDA will come looking for you, and test your flock. If they test positive, the USDA will cull them. There's no simple answer, it's really your call, whether you get them, or not.

If I were you, I'd just monitor the situation for a couple of weeks, and see how it goes. And if there's no more outbreaks I'd probably go ahead with my summer plans to get the ducks. If's just one of those things you have to take a chance on. When you think about it, you take a chance every time acquire an animal, no matter what it is.

Back
Top Bottom