When will the broody lay again?

reebs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Chicken Nugget went broody last week. After we kicked her out of the nesting box for about 4 days she is "broken" of the broody, but still not laying. We have a flock of two (Nugget and The General). When will Nugget lay again? We are getting low on eggs!

Also- not sure if this is relevant- someone laid a tiny egg-- just about 1/3 the size of their usual eggs. Was this a broody egg, or did The General randomly lay this while Nugget was broody?

I can't tell you. The breed as well as the age and health of the hen all has a bearing. I will say that I think she will start to lay in from one to eight weeks if she is well broken up. At this time of year and with the annual molt looming I would expect her to come in on the high side of my guestimate. send me a PM when she lays again with the subject line "sitting hen 07/18/2013" I would like to know how close I came.

If breed matters, she's a Black Sex Link. About 14 months old-- so her first molt is coming this fall. We hope she lays again before the molt!!

Back
Top Bottom