When will the predators learn to stay away?

Not to hijack the thread, but I was once told by a Columbus Ohio wildlife officer (after reporting a coon staggering across the yard in broad daylight and peering in the windows at us) that "Ohio has not had a case of rabies in years... it's just not a problem here." We refrained from petting the coon anyway.

Quote:
Funny Ohio had rabies quarantines in place in the late 1990's and issues annual reports indicating there is ongoing rabies incidence in the wildlife population of the state.

I saw on the news a couple of years go here in Fla, where they were dropping rabies meds that were in the form of mollasses bars to help prevent outbreaks...I dont know if all states are doing this or just us??? I have heard of some attacks here in the past years...A panther that attacked three horses, two were killed one survived, and I believe a fox that attacked a boy scout on a hiking trail..both animals were killed and tested positive for rabies. I hear the shots you have to go through are quite painful:(

Yes I do shoot in competition. Been doing it since my military days. Best group at 100 yards with my custom .308 is .056 and at 600 yards 2.75 inches. I live in Zone 5 of Ohio and the Division Wildlife Officer reports the same thing. No rabies in this area for years. Actually looking at the teeth they are not worn down that much. That is the picture that is not real good. This animal was not over 3 years old in my opinion. I have taken some that their teeth were really worn down and very obvious signs of age. I am going out Friday night to see if I can't get a few more. As far as the comment goes about buy more ammo, I hand load all my rounds and have enough supplies to last for about 15,000 rounds right now. Even cast my own lead bullets for my pistols. I cast some for my .223 also but I use a very high tin content to make them hard so they don't lead the barrel. Plus with the extra tin they pour perfect bullets.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not the short answer. Here I'll give the short answer.

Never.

Those 9 will be the only ones that won't.

Heh, the ones that might have learned don't get the chance! Nice shooting!

It's a pity we gotta do what we gotta do sometimes. That was one handsome specimen!

Back
Top Bottom