When will they lay? Asked all the time but this is weird.....

channel12001

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
OK so I've had chickens for a long time and this is actually flock #3. I have 2 Brahmas, 4 Austrolorps, 3 Black Sex Links, 3 Red Sex Links, and 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes. I got them all the same day as chicks so they are all 24 weeks old. I am currently getting 1 egg a day and it has been that way for about 3 weeks. It is strange to me that just 1 out of 14 is laying and no other birds have started. I can see 2 or 3 or whatever but just 1 out of the whole flock? Should I be concerned here or just keep waiting????

yeah, a little strange. sure they aren't laying but not being found? i would be curious too, but don't know what to tell you.

Nothing too unusual about your situation - at 24 weeks you are still very much in the "sweet spot" of timing in which you would expect the beginning of production - as for one out of 14, it really isn't any more or less odd than if you had 2-3 out of the 14 laying because each bird matures in her own time, so what someone else in the flock is or isn't doing is of no consequence to them. There is no reason for concern - and, yes, patience is the key here.
Perhaps you can post photos of the birds and we can help you assess who is/isn't closer than the rest to beginning to lay.

Back
Top Bottom