When will they lay!?!

Gneal2015

In the Brooder
May 9, 2019
I know I am being impatient, but just curious if you all think we are close to some eggs. We think our girls will be 23 weeks on Sunday. The BO's and RIR's all squat and have large, red combs. I have even heard the egg song twice from one of my BO's when she saw our cat in the window. Any predictions? Thanks!!!
20190815_170151.jpg
20190815_170111.jpg

Attachments

• 20190815_170201.jpg
    20190815_170201.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 1
I know I am being impatient, but just curious if you all think we are close to some eggs. We think our girls will be 23 weeks on Sunday. The BO's and RIR's all squat and have large, red combs. I have even heard the egg song twice from one of my BO's when she saw our cat in the window. Any predictions? Thanks!!!
View attachment 1878887 View attachment 1878892
They like to keep us on our toes those to ususally start 4-5 months old, some will drive ya crazy and make ya wait until 6 months old lol. just be glad they aren't Amerecunas that lay about 9 month sold or Cornish x that lay about a year old

I have even heard the egg song twice from one of my BO's when she saw our cat in the window. Any predictions?
Well, the 'alarm call' is almost indistinguishable from the 'egg song' but...

If you free range....
Might want to examine pelvic points:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

If the females are squatting it shouldn't be too much longer before you get eggs. All birds are different and will start to lay when they are ready. Good luck and have fun...

My Sapphire Gems started at about 16 week with tiny or shelless eggs then the rooster took notice of them at almost 18 weeks and then it has been about 3 large eggs a day from them. now my rooster has taken interest in my white leghorns (19 weeks) and the are now laying. :)

Just be patient it will happen soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom