When will they lay????

MyRedStarz

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
I have 3 - almost 20 week old Red Star pullets....when the heck are they gonna lay??? I've been looking everyday and nothin! One looks a little more mature than the other 2. She has a more filled out redder comb and chin waddle (correct term?). I've heard people say their legs get yellower, but i haven't seen that really. My hubby keeps joking she's a "He" but, you know with the red starz you can tell the sex by their coloring. If anyone else has Red Stars...when did yours first lay???
hu.gif

I don't have Red Starz but I do have 4 different breeds. I got my first egg at 136 days and really didn't get full production until 152 days.

Yes, I have Red Sex Links. Their combs and wattles turning red is a good sign, as is squatting for you when you approach them.

Because the "secret formula" for the various and sundry Red Sex Links belongs to the genetics companies and hatcheries who use their parent stock, there is no one size fits all explanation.

20 weeks is late, but not THAT late. Frankly, I would take it as a sign of a blood line that isn't going to burn out quickly. Also, I'd ask what your feeding program has been and if you allow them outside in the mornings?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. For feeding, they just got switched to Dumor layer feed and of course it is out for the all the time in a feeder in their run. Except for weekends, i let them out to roam in the evenings since i work days during the week. They also get a special "breakfast" in the morning of any leftover scraps of fruits, veggies, nuts, or bread that i have. Any insights? I live in the Orlando, Florida area and it's been very hot. Not sure if that affects laying at all.

fl.gif

Yes, excessive heat is an issue. As it cools, they will likely like it better.

Ease up on the snacks. If you want to feed them things off their diet, do it in the evenings. Their morning feed should be the pellets and the day long feed should be the pellets. Then, for an evening snack, the people food is OK, because you know they've fulfilled their dietary requirements by eating their layer feed all day.

You do well to keep young pullets in the coop and or run until noon or 1 pm. They need to learn where to lay and this is the best way. Ranging inexperienced young pullets in the morning can lead to a giant easter egg hunt. Hang in there. It won't be long now.

Back
Top Bottom