When will they sit?

DaytonDuckMom

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Dayton, NV
Good morning!

I finally have a few eggs. And I have noticed the eggs have been moved and buried somewhat under straw. What I haven't seen is any of the hens sitting on them. I am growing concerned she won't sit. But I also know they can lay out there for a week before pulling them if I were to incubate. Does that mean the hens know they don't have to sit full time, yet? Or do they? The eggs were laid one last Saturday (almost a week) and I got another one Tuesday. She laid right near the other one. So, what do I do? These are fertilized eggs and I was hoping nature would take it's course and I wouldn't have to buy an incubator. I will...if that's what it means to get them to hatch. I really want these babies!

Any knowledge is very welcomed!

Lisa

Good morning!

I finally have a few eggs. And I have noticed the eggs have been moved and buried somewhat under straw. What I haven't seen is any of the hens sitting on them. I am growing concerned she won't sit. But I also know they can lay out there for a week before pulling them if I were to incubate. Does that mean the hens know they don't have to sit full time, yet? Or do they? The eggs were laid one last Saturday (almost a week) and I got another one Tuesday. She laid right near the other one. So, what do I do? These are fertilized eggs and I was hoping nature would take it's course and I wouldn't have to buy an incubator. I will...if that's what it means to get them to hatch. I really want these babies!

Any knowledge is very welcomed!

Lisa
They will contiue to lay till they feel they have the clutch size they want, every duck is different so some may like 5 some will lay 25 before going broody, once she begins to sit then the eggs will begin to develop so patience is the name of the game when waiting for one to go broody. Very normal for them to hide them that way they feel they are protected as she builds hetr clutch

Oh miss Lydia! Thank you! I thought something was wrong with them. Rob continues to tell me they know what they are doing. In their last coop, with the previous owner, they were cooped with chickens and roosters so they would just lay randomly, wherever. Never sitting on them. Now it is just the 3 hens, I pulled the drakes 10 days before the first egg was laid. I am really hoping these all will be fertilized. The drakes covered them multiple times over a period of 3 days. There were 2 drakes to the 3 hens and they did nothing but gang up on them and cover.

I didn't know the word 'brooding'. Good to know!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom