when will they warm up tp me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Oct 10, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    im starting to get sad [​IMG] ive had my girls for 2 weeks, and they still scatter at the sound of me coming. even when i have treats for them. how long does it take for them to warm up to the caretaker? they were 16wks when we got them, so they are 18wks now. should we see eggs in a couple weeks too, huh?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Keep giving treats... they'll warm up just about the time they start laying! Until then - they're ornery teenagers!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup. Once they approach laying age, you'll be posting, "How do I keep my hens from mobbing me and tripping me when I go to feed them?" [​IMG]

4. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Yup. Once they approach laying age, you'll be posting, "How do I keep my hens from mobbing me and tripping me when I go to feed them?" [​IMG]

I agree! I only have 4 girls, but once they started laying their behavior changed. Mine are to the point I may be asking how to make them less friendly.

Hubby had work off today, and we had lunch outside on the patio. He says, "Not only do you have chickens, you have chickens that beg!"
    Be careful what you wish for, my girls are becoming a real PIA. I am thinking they either think they are my dogs.... or people, not sure which yet.[​IMG]

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    They are different. Some may never warm up to you, others you may not be able to walk without tripping over them. Only one of mine ever was not somewhat wary around me. They would eat out of my hand but I couldn't touch them. The one that wasn't afraid would peck my leg if I didn't produce treats fast enough! She was a mess! She would also try to flog me sometimes, she was such a hag but I liked her very much because she had so much personality.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a girl that hated us from the beginning. Just two days ago, she started to squat and let us pick her up.. We were expecting an egg any day from her (just laid her first today - YAY!), and now she approaches me, doesn't scatter, and squats when I approach... Like sooo..

[​IMG]

I'm sure they will come around [​IMG]

7. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I had this same problem. You can bring treats into the coop or outdoor pen with you. I sat in a chair with a good book and scattered the treats close to me. I would slowly add more treats as they ate and now when I go out to see them, they expect to be given a gift.
    Good luck, don't give up

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have some chickens that I can pick up and some I can't. BUT They all come running when I see them. They don't miind being pet when they are in the coop, and I can usually pick them all off the roost and hold them then. Some don't care and some complain the whole time. LOL. The mutts, they don't like to be held at all, but I got them from people who NEVER handled them.

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Try different treats. Mine go absolutely crazy for scrambled eggs and mozzerella cheese.

However, this is a main reason why I only get very young chicks or hatch my own. Either that, or make sure they have been handled a LOT since hatching. Its true what they say about those first few weeks and imprinting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by