When will Valentine start laying?

Around What week do you think Valentine will start laying? (see the first post)

• Week 35-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Week 45-50

• Week 50-55 (yikes!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see. I wonder who it was!

Yeah. 18 weeks is young for a Wyandotte, but I see why you asked. I’d be wondering the same thing.

It would make sense. I wouldn't know if it’s a myth though.

Sorry for the short reply. I got to go soon.
It’s ok, sometimes im not able to reply with a long post either 👍

Its possible it was just one of my BRs, the best boxes consist of dark Speckled eggs and normal light brown. I had a BR a while ago, who laid almost completely white eggs for some reason. Never changed. Now she has died now, but maybe this BR who laid the pale egg this time, just had a fluke in the system that prevented the egg shell color to be added. OR it really was Valentine- I’ll check her when she goes to bed- the thing is so sneaky and she slips right out of your fingers! Can’t catch her until she’s asleep 😂

@GermanKennhuhn, @featheredplanets, @CrazyChicken360, why did you put 20- 25 weeks? Her comb is bright red which indicates that she is going to start laying any day now.

If you know that she’ll start laying soon then why make a poll? /:

From my experience, red combs do not indicate imminent laying. My OE were bright red, like cockerels, for two months before they started laying. Whilst red combs do usually mean they’ll start laying soon, much like squatting, it’s also just a sign of sexual maturity, not a sign of eggs for breakfast. Given it’s also getting towards the end of the year, some pullets that haven’t yet started laying may take even longer to begin. So in my opinion, 20-30wks is a good vague age for pullets to begin laying in winter.

Your bird looks like a male to me too from the comb and wattles. I have raised Wyandotte's years ago and none of my females had combs and wattles at that age as large as your has. I now raise Rhode Island Whites which are very similar. This is a hen around 2 years old. My birds started laying at around 24/26 weeks. Good luck and have fun...
2014-01-24 15.06.41.jpg
2014-01-24 15.06.53.jpg

If you know that she’ll start laying soon then why make a poll? /:

From my experience, red combs do not indicate imminent laying. My OE were bright red, like cockerels, for two months before they started laying. Whilst red combs do usually mean they’ll start laying soon, much like squatting, it’s also just a sign of sexual maturity, not a sign of eggs for breakfast. Given it’s also getting towards the end of the year, some pullets that haven’t yet started laying may take even longer to begin. So in my opinion, 20-30wks is a good vague age for pullets to begin laying in winter.
I posted a poll for the exact reason you said in the second part of you reply- to see people’s opinions on when they think that she will lay, because a red comb does not always mean she will lay soon.

I agree, she may not lay so soon. She is only 18 weeks old, so she has a few weeks before she is most likely to start- personally, she will probably start laying from between the 19-30 week mark since there is really no guarantee that she will lay just because she has a red comb. I do believe this girl will lay some eggs soon, I’m kind of on edge.

To have a misconception that I am new to chickens, is not really true. I only posted this thread to see others opinions on when she will lay, not If she was already laying. But thank you for your input, I can’t say I disagree with anyone really, With new layers, their is no telling how long it will be before that first egg.

I closed the poll cause I can’t delete it :hmm but I don’t really need to use it- I had it open so could tell me when they think she will lay without having to post a reply but people were ok with posting anyway.

Your bird looks like a male to me too from the comb and wattles. I have raised Wyandotte's years ago and none of my females had combs and wattles at that age as large as your has. I now raise Rhode Island Whites which are very similar. This is a hen around 2 years old. My birds started laying at around 24/26 weeks. Good luck and have fun...
View attachment 2372920View attachment 2372921
She is a pullet. In the sake of all who have said this, looking at her comb and wattle does not really tell you her gender off the bat. When I posted of my EE, she was standing in back, and everyone was saying “cockerel” I know what I’m looking at when I see a comb like that so I didn’t disagree! But I posted some more pictures of her for everyone, and every other part of her was saying Pullet. Considering she will be laying soon, a red comb like that is a sign of sexual maturity. So I really believe she is a pullet, who will just hit her sexual maturity Mark soon.

your birds are very pretty :love! Considering that Valentine is almost 20 weeks old, I would say that she will just lay around the 20-30 week mark, like your birds did. She just got a red comb and wattle earlier :confused:

:hitnot very nice- frankly, I would like to delete it, but i can’t so I just closed it. So I’m sorry for having made it, I just thought it would be easier for people to post their Opinion in a poll, rather than having to write a long post. I would prefer it if members of BYC didn’t put me down just for posting a poll so I could see people’s opinions on when my baby girl would start to lay! I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, and I hope I didn’t take your post the wrong way, but I didn’t find it very kind of you for calling me a kid for having posted a poll in my thread :confused:

Back
Top Bottom