When will Valentine start laying?

Around What week do you think Valentine will start laying? (see the first post)

• Week 35-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Week 45-50

• Week 50-55 (yikes!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
Alright. So we all anticipate the day when our new pullets, lay their first eggs! Now by looking at this picture, you can see how bright red her comb is- you’d almost say “COCKEREL!” But don’t worry we already eliminated that ;) :rolleyes:
B4BA594E-B6B8-453F-B619-2A13E9331ADC.jpeg
99C900AC-C225-4965-A439-BEA7D955A8BC.jpeg
So, by knowing she is at week 18, and understanding that Wyandotte’s can start laying as early as week 20 (Or earlier), what do you guys think just by looking at her?

i added the poll to see the most common guess Without having to find it in your post, bit I’m closing it since I Don’t see people using it, and I realize it’s better to look through the posts 👍

Last edited:
@GermanKennhuhn, @featheredplanets, @CrazyChicken360, why did you put 20- 25 weeks? Her comb is bright red which indicates that she is going to start laying any day now.
What I meant by 20-25 weeks, was 20-25 weeks OLD ( my mistake I should have been clear :oops: ) although I agree she could lay anytime. Infact she could have already started, I found an egg with a very light color compared to the usual color from my BRs, but it’s a large egg and my BRs don’t have a complelay consistent egg shell color. I will do a vent check and all the other checks when I get home in a few hours

@GermanKennhuhn, @featheredplanets, @CrazyChicken360, why did you put 20- 25 weeks? Her comb is bright red which indicates that she is going to start laying any day now.
Just from personal experience. I’ve had pullets get bright red combs, but start laying a few weeks later. I think 18 weeks is a little early for a Wyandotte IMHO. I could be wrong though.
What I meant by 20-25 weeks, was 20-25 weeks OLD ( my mistake I should have been clear :oops: ) although I agree she could lay anytime. Infact she could have already started, I found an egg with a very light color compared to the usual color from my BRs, but it’s a large egg and my BRs don’t have a complelay consistent egg shell color. I will do a vent check and all the other checks when I get home in a few hours
Haha, she may have just proved me wrong. Perfect timing, right after a thread is started. :lol:

Just from personal experience. I’ve had pullets get bright red combs, but start laying a few weeks later. I think 18 weeks is a little early for a Wyandotte IMHO. I could be wrong though.

Haha, she may have just proved me wrong. Perfect timing, right after a thread is started. :lol:
Yes lol- she may have proved us all wrong- who knows! I just doubt it was her since the egg is a fairly large egg (not abnormally huge, it normal sized for a full grown layer, it’s just not something you would see from a Pullet who just started) even though the color of it appeared almost white. I don’t really think it was hers but I think there is a chance!

Like you saw in the post you quoted from me, I mentioned most Wyandottes don’t start laying before the 20-25 week mark and even yet, many don’t start laying until after that. I only saw the bright red comb (red enough to make people think “Roo!” But we have confirmed she’s a Pullet) that probably has its full color already. To my understanding (this could be a myth, might be, I’m not doing further research on it, but I heard this a while back when I first started out with chickens, so i don’t know where I heard it but I did) pullets combs grow brighter red to indicate to a rooster that they are almost/are mature enough to have their eggs fertilized- so by taking that into account, while her comb and especially her wattle, are quite developed, they haven’t exactly reached their complete color which means their could be a bit of time between now, and her first egg. That would help me a lot though, I only just ran out of Growers feed, so I switched them to layers today (I still have got to go out to the barn to pour in the oyster shell) So I want to get some calcium in their systems, to build up some strong shells before their first eggs.

I know that's what you meant

Yes lol- she may have proved us all wrong- who knows! I just doubt it was her since the egg is a fairly large egg (not abnormally huge, it normal sized for a full grown layer, it’s just not something you would see from a Pullet who just started) even though the color of it appeared almost white. I don’t really think it was hers but I think there is a chance!

Like you saw in the post you quoted from me, I mentioned most Wyandottes don’t start laying before the 20-25 week mark and even yet, many don’t start laying until after that. I only saw the bright red comb (red enough to make people think “Roo!” But we have confirmed she’s a Pullet) that probably has its full color already. To my understanding (this could be a myth, might be, I’m not doing further research on it, but I heard this a while back when I first started out with chickens, so i don’t know where I heard it but I did) pullets combs grow brighter red to indicate to a rooster that they are almost/are mature enough to have their eggs fertilized- so by taking that into account, while her comb and especially her wattle, are quite developed, they haven’t exactly reached their complete color which means their could be a bit of time between now, and her first egg. That would help me a lot though, I only just ran out of Growers feed, so I switched them to layers today (I still have got to go out to the barn to pour in the oyster shell) So I want to get some calcium in their systems, to build up some strong shells before their first eggs.
I see. I wonder who it was!

Yeah. 18 weeks is young for a Wyandotte, but I see why you asked. I’d be wondering the same thing.

It would make sense. I wouldn't know if it’s a myth though.

Sorry for the short reply. I got to go soon.

Back
Top Bottom