When will you set your last eggs for the year?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    If at anytime I come upon a good price for BCM eggs, I'm not done yet. Also, I could fall prey to the evilness of serama babies if some of those eggs happened upon my front porch...

2. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Quote:OT: What do you consider a good price for BCM hatching eggs? I just paid $10 for over a dozen. I felt like that was a good price, but just wanted to check;)

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I haven't ran the incubator since 14 of my hens went broody in April/May.

The last of my eggs to hatch are under 2 broody bantams right now (due next week)..random green eggs bought at the auction. I probably won't hatch any more this year unless my bantams start laying fertile eggs.

My Frizzle Cochin cockerel has just started trying to do his funky dance and making gargled crowing sounds...not sure if he will be able to 'do his job' before the girls stop laying during the cold weather. I am growing out about 20+ BBS Ameraucana and keeping 1 roo, but I don't think I will get any fertile eggs from them til next Spring.

I don't know though, everytime I say thats it, I am not going to try and hatch anything else in my dumb LG stillair, I wind up ordering eggs or getting them from another BYC'er lol. I know as soon as the last of my chicks get moved to the grow out pen, I will be longing for little chicks again.

4. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    I hatch all year long lol [​IMG]! Since i am in Alaska my Adults are in the coop and the chicks that still need the heat live in our Basement in a temporary brooder for winter.

5. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Quote:Do the adults go outside at all? What are temperatures like your way during the various seasons?

I am hoping that my silkie will go broody next spring where we can have a natural incubator:)

When will the group I am hatching out this month (end of August) be able to handle being outside without a light? Or will I be having company in the basement all winter?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I can't recall the last time I shut the incubator down. lol I'm sure mine will run right throug the rest of the year as well. Happy hatching everyone!

7. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    This is my first year doing chicks/eggs and it's been a busy one with over 100 babies! [​IMG] I am setting my last batch for the year in the bator next week. I have Serama and Orloff eggs on the way [​IMG]

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I hope to set my last eggs in my incubator near the end of this month, as there are certain breeds I would like to use, which I have never really thought about breeding until this month.

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Quote:Aww man, now I am jealous! I wasn't able to get Seramas or Orloffs this year. Good luck hatching!

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Quote:Aww man, now I am jealous! I wasn't able to get Seramas or Orloffs this year. Good luck hatching!

Thanks! I had a heck of a time locating Orloff eggs but finally found a breeder that had quality stock that had some available. The seramas I did get off of an ebay auction but had to pay a premium price for eggs but I want to raise them so I decided to take the risk [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: