When will you set your last eggs for the year?

farmin'chick :

When will I set my last eggs for the year??!!???

December 31! Bwahahahahahahahah....

amen. i keep mine going as long as im getting or can get eggs. oh as far as integrating new birds i learned a trick a while back. wait til they have started getting their real feather no down. (about 1 1/2 - 2 months) when they are that big put them in the pen with the adults at night. they all wake up the next morning and none is the wiser. another trick is to put them in a cage in the pen a few days before doing this. if you familiarize the other birds to the presence of the other birds then they wont see them as outsiders. they will always get picked on thats how the "pecking order " is determined​

Quote:
What in the world do ya'll do with all those chickens? I'd love to keep my bator going but my population is pretty much at the limit with 26 and possibly another 20 or so on the way. Just wondering, do you butcher the extras or sell them? I'm planning to sell eggs and chicks next year.

yoiu bet i sell them. try to at least. pure breds get more $$$$ but mix breeds sell good too.

I was supposed to be done a month ago...
tongue.png
But I didn't have enough extras to choose from, and people kept asking me for chicks, so I hatched more. I will NOT brood chicks this winter!!!
smile.png

im trying to get 4 batchs of chickens eggs in and 2 batchs of quail in befor its gets cold. we incubated right thru the winter last year i found it was costing me almost $250 in electric to keep the brooder shed warm im not doing that this year learned a lesson last year.

i hatch mine year round but i have a storage building i can keep them sheltered in while brroding plus our winters here in east texas arent as devestating as they are up north. my birds are active and lay well even in the winter

Back
Top Bottom