When will you set your last eggs for the year?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Quote:What in the world do ya'll do with all those chickens? I'd love to keep my bator going but my population is pretty much at the limit with 26 and possibly another 20 or so on the way. Just wondering, do you butcher the extras or sell them? I'm planning to sell eggs and chicks next year.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you look at my web site, I have a lot of projects going on and I am continually working to improve my flocks and develop new plumage colors in the breeds I enjoy. That's takes a lot of hatching and a lot of culling. When I cull, sometimes I weed out chicks that don't make the cut for the project right at hatch. Other times, I'll grow them out and sell as started pets. Some that are grown out are sold for others who are interested in working on the projects with me. And others end up in the freeezer. It really depends. And then there are hatches for others when they place an order with me or just to see how things are coming along with a project. It's all fun and I never have had any problems rehoming birds when we move on to the next phase.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Quote:OT: What do you consider a good price for BCM hatching eggs? I just paid $10 for over a dozen. I felt like that was a good price, but just wanted to check;)

OMG OMG! I just paid $35 for 8 of them and nary a one hatched. I would consider $10 for over a dozen a very very good price. In fact, I would build a whole new coop and run for a couple of dozen at that price.

4. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Quote:Do the adults go outside at all? What are temperatures like your way during the various seasons?

I am hoping that my silkie will go broody next spring where we can have a natural incubator:)

When will the group I am hatching out this month (end of August) be able to handle being outside without a light? Or will I be having company in the basement all winter?

Yes. The adults go out pretty often. For winter we are pretty much going to put most of the adults together so there will be plenty enough chickens to keep each other warm and sometimes i take my bantams in the basement. Once we actually hit winter it can can get pretty cold. Ever since i was living in alaska i think the coldest was -36. And this year we are probably gonna make a rule that if it gets below -20 we are going to plug in one of our electrical heaters and put it in the coop.

5. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Quote:OT: What do you consider a good price for BCM hatching eggs? I just paid $10 for over a dozen. I felt like that was a good price, but just wanted to check;)

OMG OMG! I just paid $35 for 8 of them and nary a one hatched. I would consider $10 for over a dozen a very very good price. In fact, I would build a whole new coop and run for a couple of dozen at that price.

I thought it was a great price:) The marans the lady had were gorgeous and very well kept. She is working on developing egg color, so I think she is excited for us to hatch some out where she can see how her project is going. The eggs are a 5 or 6 she said and have really pretty speckling. I think we had one egg that was a 7. We bought several standard partridge cochins from her and she threw in a marans that had undesirable feather color, but her egg is a 7 for free:) Nice lady:)

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hmmm...well first I said I would stop hatching eggs in July....and then I thought, well, maybe August...
    Needless to say, that has all gone out the window![​IMG]
    Though I truly plan now on having no new hatches in September(except for my muscovies if they hatch, they are due the first part of Sept.)

7. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i am gonna order one more batch.. thats it for the year , i promise! not sure when that one more batch starts LOL

8. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Songster

May 31, 2009
    MN
    What is the best way to integrate the new chicks anyway? Do you wait until they are a few months old or put them in a month olds? Just curious.

THanks,

9. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I wait until mine are about the size of a full grown to put in with the adults. They get picked on less that way IME. But, I have a juvenile tractor that I hope I can put these that I am hatching this month in before winter.

10. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    When will I set my last eggs for the year??!!???

December 31! Bwahahahahahahahah....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: