When would you evacuate your chickens due to wildfire smoke?

I just evacuated my house, fire headed our way I got the family and the dog. Chickens got two weeks worth of food and even more water. Hopefully I don’t come home to roasted chicken. Choices had to be made.

XOXO :hugs So stressful when all you can do is wait. We went to the town meetings held by our incident commander (which included q&a) and it made me feel better to be informed/updated by a reliable source even if the news was scary and even though we couldn't DO anything. I know you must be feeling helpless right now, just keep reminding yourself that you and your family are safe. I hope your fire team is successful with structure protection.

Since I started this thread, eventually, our fire was contained at 13,000 acres and residents have returned to homes, but it will be burning within the perimeter for weeks yet.

XOXO :hugs So stressful when all you can do is wait. We went to the town meetings held by our incident commander (which included q&a) and it made me feel better to be informed/updated by a reliable source even if the news was scary and even though we couldn't DO anything. I know you must be feeling helpless right now, just keep reminding yourself that you and your family are safe. I hope your fire team is successful with structure protection.

Since I started this thread, eventually, our fire was contained at 13,000 acres and residents have returned to homes, but it will be burning within the perimeter for weeks yet.

The last fire up here, in 2013 the fire burned until it snowed. Facebook, as much as I hate it, has been a good source of info a few people have stayed behind and are posting updates. I am guessing it will be a week before they let us come home. All roads closed going up the mountain.

Gary

So sorry for everyone that is impacted by these fires. :(

Birds have more sensitive respiratory systems than we do. While chickens are generally a little more 'robust' than their smaller perching bird cousins, they still have a complex respiratory system with a network of air sacs and honeycomb bones (their bones are actually part of the respiratory system, believe it or not). Though they might not seem it, they are more strongly impacted by poor air quality than we are; if it's enough to bother us, it is almost certainly causing damage to them, though minor problems might be recovered from as mentioned earlier in this thread.

It's hardly possible for everyone, but if one has a place to safely take/move them to, it's the best option.

So sorry for everyone that is impacted by these fires. :(

Birds have more sensitive respiratory systems than we do. While chickens are generally a little more 'robust' than their smaller perching bird cousins, they still have a complex respiratory system with a network of air sacs and honeycomb bones (their bones are actually part of the respiratory system, believe it or not). Though they might not seem it, they are more strongly impacted by poor air quality than we are; if it's enough to bother us, it is almost certainly causing damage to them, though minor problems might be recovered from as mentioned earlier in this thread.

It's hardly possible for everyone, but if one has a place to safely take/move them to, it's the best option.

I’m not sure moving them is the best option. So if I brought them to the animal shelter then there is biosecurity to worry about. If they get sick from the smoke at least it’s not contagious

Gary

Evacuations will be lifted sometime today. I will go home tomorrow it will be a mess trying to drive up today even though I can. Chickens are ok, I have been checking in on them via my coop cams hopefully no issues from the smoke.

Gary
Great to hear that the chickens are okay. I hope your house is untouched.
All of the wild/native birds have already left the area. Will my chickens and ducks be ok? How do I know when they are not ok? What would help you determine whether they should stay or go?
If the wild and native birds leave it’s safe to say you should get your birds away from the fire.

Great to hear that the chickens are okay. I hope your house is untouched.

If the wild and native birds leave it’s safe to say you should get your birds away from the fire.

Easy to say but I had an evacuation plan that did not include the chickens being evacuated. The plan has always been top off food and water , which should last two weeks and hope for the best. If any are suffering I will cull them. I have not breached bio security and my family and dog took precidence.

I consider this a success even if I lose a few or all of them.

Gary

Easy to say but I had an evacuation plan that did not include the chickens being evacuated. The plan has always been top off food and water , which should last two weeks and hope for the best. If any are suffering I will cull them. I have not breached bio security and my family and dog took precidence.

I consider this a success even if I lose a few or all of them.

Gary

We all do our best in times of emergency. Anyone and anything that is saved/salvaged is a win. I hope all is well on your home front when you return. The fact that electricity has been maintained and you have been able to check your coop cams is a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom